[Az-Geocaching] Another "do anywhere" geocache

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:39:44 -0700

At 01:57 PM 3/21/2002 -0700, you wrote:

>Is that the same locomotive that's over at Himmel Park these days?  I can't
>remember what happened exactly to the Ft. Lowell park locomotive and I sort
>of seem to remember that the one at Himmel has been there for quite some
>time.

No, the one at Himmel Park has been there forever.  That locomotive, #1673,
was in the movie Oklahoma.  I know that they have talked for years about
moving it, but it has never happened.  I am glad, I like having those old
beasts in public parks.

The one that was at Ft. Lowell Park, I don't have the number here at work,
was supposedly removed to have work done and be put into a movie, but I
don't know what ever became of it.  Of course the real famous steam
locomotive here in Tucson is "The Reno" which is out at Old Tucson.  Until
the fire it was operational, the fire cracked it's boiler.  They took that
one to New Mexico to film the movie Wild Wild West a few years ago.  The
locomotive looks very different than it did when it left, but in many
respects it is much closer to what it's original configuration was.

I have been kicking around the idea of doing some sort of multi cache that
involves many of the surviving steam locomotives around the state.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache