[Az-Geocaching] Lost Geocache returns....

Jim Scotti az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 16:07:04 -0700 (MST)

You might be interested to hear the story of Bean Eaters cache (URL:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13420) which I placed
along I-19 back in January at an exit which goes nowhere (except to my
geocache!).  The last successful visitor on Friday last week logged their
visit and then decided to return on Sunday after thinking about the wax lips
they had left in the cache and how the Arizona heat would probably ruin them.
So they returned on Sunday and could not find the cache.  A 2nd visitor also
could not find the cache on Sunday and sent me an e-mail.  So after thinking
it over for a bit, I decided I was going to replace the geocache and I drove
down to the site after taking in a D'Backs spring training game yesterday.
As I drove up to the site, even before getting out of the car, I saw the
cache!  Turns out, a group accidentally stumbled upon the cache and not
knowing what "geocaching" was (I had written GEOCACHE on the outside of the
container), they thought they had found a really cool treasure and took it
home with them.  Once home, they discovered the geocaching description page
inside and checked out geocaching.com to discover what our sport is all
about.  They returned the cache yesterday before my visit and included a log
with their story in the logbook.  At least this incident has a happy ending.

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona