[Az-Geocaching] changes at geocaching.com

Jim Scotti az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:12:46 -0700 (MST)

I have mixed feelings.  On the one hand, the idea of paying $30 a year sounds
bad (especially when trying to balance the budget this month), but then, I
also just thought about how much I spend on geocaching each month anyway.
The last cache I put out cost me almost $40 total (the container, the
trinkets, the pens, the logbooks, etc.) and I must spend at least that much
more on other trinkets and things to add to geocaches every month (I just
bought 4 really cool keychains I found at K-Mart for geocaching at $2.99
each!  And then there's the disposable camera I recently retrieved from my
first geocache that I just retrieved from the developer - that's about $8
plus another $6 for the camera I replaced it with).  And that doesn't count
gas costs to drive out to some remote site (with my Twooper getting 16 mpg
and gas running about $1.139 a gallon, thats $0.07 a mile not including any
maintenance, so that's about $5 for my weekend geocaching expedition just for
the gas [I placed one and found another])!  So after thinking things over for
a moment, $30 a year is a bargain!  I don't know if I'll go out and pay that,
at least right away, but I might just do so once I see what new features they
offer to paying customers.  I'm not sure I'll ever post a Member only cache.
But who knows, if I ever run into unethical cheapskate geocachers, I might
make all my new geocaches member only.

Jim.