[Az-Geocaching] AZ waypoint files.

Jim Scotti az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Sat, 2 Mar 2002 23:53:50 -0700 (MST)

When I downloaded the latest Arizona geocache waypoint file today, I noticed
the file was up to 451 caches.  I don't know about everyone elses GPS, but
mine only has room for 500 waypoints, so I don't have much room for saved
waypoints if I simply download the whole file into my GPS and soon, it will
be bigger than 500 waypoints long anyway.  It seems like we'll all be editing
the files we download or we need to have the file broken up into smaller
pieces, sort of like the way mapsource download maps are broken down into
smaller areas.  I know most of the waypoints are around the Phoenix area, so
separating Phx from the rest of the state will only solve the problem for a
short time until the number of Phx caches grows to over 500....  At the
current rate, that won't be long.  I suppose you could have the Phx area
broken up into quadrants or even by cities and then the rest of the state in
another file or something like that.  Maybe go by counties elsewhere if the
rest of the state grows too large....  I wouldn't mind keeping my geocache
waypoints down to a maximum of around 300 and selectively downloading the
areas I'm likely to be in in the near future would allow me to do that.

Jim
Team Scotti

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu