[Az-Geocaching] Continuing to Geocache

Fri, 07 Jun 2002 17:25:31 -0700 (PDT)

A well-thought out and well-phrased post, Scott. And Jerry.
My opinion: if you find yourself getting too upset about something,
ask yourself, is it really worth it? This is a GAME. Maybe it is time
to take two steps back and two deep breaths before responding, and for
our poor over-heated/irritable Phoenix friends (that is not a slam,
that is sympathy!) maybe a dip in the pool.
Enjoy and stay cool (and hydrated)
Trisha

On Fri, 07 June 2002, "Scott Nicol" wrote

> >From: Jerry Nelson <peakbagger2@juno.com>
> >To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
> >Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Death of Geocaching
> >Date: Fri, 7 Jun 2002 08:54:09 -0700
> >
> >.
> >I say lighten up yourself, Tim.  Even though most of us have never
met in
> >person, we're friends by way of our mutually enjoyed sport and
> >communication via this listserv.
> >
> >Friends should be free to ventilate a little with each other during
> >somewhat stressful times in their lives without being taken too
> >seriously.
> >
> >Jerry-Offtrail

> OK. I am not one to get too involved in politics, but, I don't mind
speaking
> what's on my mind once in a while! :)
>
> No seriously. I agree totally with Jerry's post above.
>
> This is a public forum for the free speech of it's members. This
forum is
> for discussion concerning the sport/hobby of Geocaching.
>
> We are all free to speak our minds about things associated with the
subject
> this listserver supports. Loran is not 'whining' about anything. He
is just
> speaking what is on his mind. He is voicing his opinion. The only
'whiners'
> are the individuals who 'retaliate' to Loran's post. If one does not
agree
> with what Loran said, you are free to speak your mind as well. But,
phrase
> your post in a way that speaks of your thoughts on the subject and
not in a
> retalitory mode. Perhaps there are others that feel the same way
Loran does.
> I am sure there are some that don't agree with him as well. But, I
think it
> is totally fine for Loran to say what he said and it is totally
acceptable
> for everyone else on this list to serve their thoughts on the
subject as
> well. If you don't agree with what Loran said.. then state your
thoughts and
> state why you think the way you do about it. But, don't slam him or
anyone
> else for simply speaking their minds.
>
> The 'round table discussion' that this listserver was designed for
will
> allow us to speak out for/against certain things and thus will
create a
> better future for our sport/hobby. If no one knows what others
thoughts are
> on the subject of geocaching, the sport will never grow. If someone
doesnt
> agree with what someone else says.. then post a reply and give us
your
> thoughts. But, don't knock someone else for speaking what they
beleive
> because you don't believe. That's the great thing about living in
America.

> I don't think there are any other states that have a listserver for
> geocaching like we are fortunate to have (thanks Brian, Jason!).
This allows
> us to be a much more in tune group with each other and should help
us
> improve our hobby here in AZ. But, if everyone just slams what
everyone else
> says... we arent going to improve anything.
>
> I post this message because I was once on a listserver similar to
this that
> was for another sport I participate in- hot air ballooning. There is
so much
> whining, BS'ing, and just plain out political nonsense on that
list.. I
> finally unsubsribed from it. There was more 'hot air' on that list,
than the
> balloons themselve create! :) I was getting, on average, 50-70
emails a day
> from that list. More than half were just retaliation posts to
someone else
> wishing to speak their thoughts. I never saw any positive
improvements to
> any original thoughts posted on that list and I never learned or
gained
> anything from it. So, I unsubsribed.
>
> I so far (except for a very few instances) have found this
AZGeocaching