[Az-Geocaching] MOST of us will skip the time-consumers

Mike Schwarz listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 04 Jun 2002 13:14:41

Let me re-word what I said yesterday; I didn't express myself
as well as I should have on Monday.

For MOST of us, we simply don't want to spend TOO much time and
effort on an individual cache.  Its perfectly okay if a FEW of
us want to; it all depends on how much time you have, and how
fanatical you are about it.  If somebody finds 100 caches in one
month, they are obviously fanatical, and I actually admire their
determination and resolve; its just that most of us don't care
to spend THAT much time on caching.

Also, as far as "raising the bar" (Denny's terminology), I agree
that some may enjoy solving puzzles or decrypting something, to
get the coordinates.  A number of caches have something MINOR of
this sort to do; heck, one of MY caches requires that you know
something about the rock group Blind Melon.  If you're unfamiliar
with them, though, the info can be had via an internet search
engine in a few minutes.

A few people want to have a DIFFICULT challenge of this sort, and
that's fine.  But such caches should be rated at least a 4 to 4.5,
if that's the case.  In some cases, they are not rated as high as
they should be.  Even if there is no puzzle to solve, if a cache
proves very elusive for many people, it shouldn't be rated a 2.5
in difficulty, as Ya Skala was.  BTW, we're still waiting for that
one to be replaced by the owner; it disappeared in late April.

Other people, like me, want their challenge in the terrain rating
instead.  I don't mind a hike with 1,000 feet or more of elevation
change, although I'd only do such a hike close to home VERY EARLY
now.  When it's cool, I enjoy the caches with terrain ratings of
3.5 or 4.  Many people don't, and that's their prerogative.  I
find it a little surprising that only 5 teams have gone up to
"Place Tup Top" so far, but I do understand and respect the fact
that many people don't like a steep hike, like Camelback Mtn or
my Club 2400 cache, or in a few cases, may be physically unable
to do such a hike.  We are all different.

So, to restate what I said yesterday, for MOST of us, we don't
want to spend an enormous amount of time on obtaining data for
an individual cache.  But if a few geocachers wish to spend many
many hours searching for products, or decrypting something, to
get the coordinates for a cache, that's fine, if they have that
kind of time to spare.

Mike (Malthusian)