[Az-Geocaching] Just skip the time-consuming ones

Darren Johnson listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 4 Jun 2002 05:43:15 -0700

> I agree with Loran that finding something shouldn't take TOO much
> time and effort.  Not referring to any cache in particular, I find
> that ANY cache that requires too much time and effort is not worth
> pursuing, so I just ignore it.  I would suggest that you do the
> same.  There's no reason to have to find EVERY single cache out
> there.

But then again, there are some of us out there that really do get our kicks
by being somewhat stumped and then finally overcoming the creative barrier
and finding the cache.  It's all a matter of personal taste.

> After more than 45 minutes of searching for Ya Skala, I just gave
> up, and with the constant parade of people walking by there, I
> decided I would NOT try searching for that one again.  With over
> 15,000 active caches in the world, I believe a few can be skipped.

I've spent 5 hours searching for Ya Skala, and though I haven't had any luck
in finding it, I won't give up on that one.  I won't make special trips out
that way to look for it, but if I'm in the area I'll spend some time there
contemplating where it is.  (though recently I have a lot better idea of
what to look for).  Though if my mext attempt comes up in failure, I will be
heading back with a backhoe and a sifting crew.

Part of the challenge of this hobby is.....the challenge.  Not all caches
are going to be easy to find, and nor should they be, and that's the reason
that there's a difficulty number.  The higher numbered ones SHOULD require
more of an inventment in time and mental energy.  There are times that I
want to be able to go out and rack up 9 or 10 caches, and there are times
that I want to be challenged.

My 2 ducats worth.

Darren
Team Imperial Eagle