[Az-Geocaching] Search...using GPS, UTM and T/R/Sec

Trisha Radley az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:54:35 -0700

Hi Jerry and all,

The two boys wandered off Saturday about noon and were out 3 full days and 2
nights with temps down to about 12, luckily very little wind and no precip.
They had no food or water, no supplies and light clothing. I think it is a
flat miracle they are alive.

 Apparently, they huddled together at night under trees for warmth and ate
snow for water (which isn't recommended due to lowering body temp more.)
They huddled at night, the older putting his frozen tennis shoes inside his
pant legs to try and keep them warm, and the younger, who had a light jacket
on, doing his best to keep his big brother warm!

They moved during the day, wandering around, at times seeing or hearing
rescue vehicles/helos but unable to get their attention. The terrain was
rough in places, and very dense trees. They mainly stayed near the west rim
of Mormon Canyon, but did at one point go out to Lake Mary Rd, but said no
one came along, so they turned back to the forest. This is a bit hard to
believe, but remember they were 8 and 15 and scared.

They continued to try and find their way back to camp, but ended up about 4
miles NW where they finally ran into 4x4 ground searchers from Mohave Co
(who I know, I lived in Kingman) just before sunset on Monday.

This is why I volunteer for this....why I am willing to stay up all night,
or whatever is needed....for the possible great outcomes like this...which
looked pretty grim that second night. MANY prayers were said and God
answered them. We had at one time almost 200 searchers involved from at
least 6 counties. Working in the command center on the radio this time, I am
able to keep track of all that is going on, and it is also neat to see each
well-trained and well-equipped group be deployed. Many dedicated
folks...can't praise them enough.

My mom (and sometimes a friend) won't always understand why and how I will
drop everything to go, and gets nervous when I go (she watches my kids if it
is a long search, which luckily doesn't happen often) but I remind
them....."if you, or one of your kids, were lost out there, wouldn't you
want as many trained and experienced people out there looking for you?" That
usually helps them understand why we do what we do.

~~trisha
"Lightning" Yavapai Co. Jeep Posse Searchers