[Az-Geocaching] Re: Geocaching "Teams"

az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Fri, 11 Jan 2002 12:04:19 -0700

Please ignore all stats and records when considering what caches to start.
If you have a great idea for a series of caches, then go for it.  I'd love
to see some new creative caches.  (Rumor has it that there are 5 caches in
the trunk of n4/c's car.  You just got to figure out the coordinates!)

I view the stats and records (that I've summarized on my webpage) as sort of
snapshots of what the geocaching is like today and for the past 18 months.
I expect that the hobby will grow during the next 12 months that stats and
records today will all be blown out of the water.

There are great inaccuracies in the stats.  There are several active
geocachers who don't log many of their finds.  Team Sand Dollar has found
over 50 but has logged less than 10.  Wolfb8 has given several indications
that her stats are incorrect (caches found but not logged and friends
finding caches and logging them on her id).  And there's others...  The
stats are meant for fun and not for competition.  I've used the stats myself
as motivations and setting a target of what I want to go find.  I love the
stats.

On another note, I've been curious to download the .csv files of caches each
team has done and line them up on a spreadsheet for the teams that have done
the most AZ caches.  I am curious if a merger of teams 2-10 (in AZ ranking
of AZ caches found) would collectively have more caches found in AZ than
Wyle E.  (In a way that makes me think of playing Monopoly with 6 people...
Mergers occur and it soon ends up into being two mega-teams.)

-srdrake