[Az-Geocaching] GPS in the news

Brian Cluff az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:52:47 -0700 (MST)

> Hadn't thought of the GPS system being potentially vunerable, but it does
> make sense.
> Now that would put a damper on our hobby/adventure
> activity/obsession/addiction/competition (take your pick)

I just wish that was the biggest thing that terrorists would attack.  That
way it would be kinda a bummer for a little bit till the army tracked down
the source of the jam and eliminated it, but at least we would still have
all our people and buildings.
I'm guessing that the GPS jamming equiptment isn't for jamming the signal
in other countries (that wouldn't really do THAT much) but it's for
jamming the signal above stratigic targets so we have a hard time guiding
our missles via gps and blowing them up.  My guess is that you just put a
GPS tracker and a jamming tracker and if you loose the signal, you just
blow up the source of the jamming :)

Some ex-military guy from the middle east said they would modify a
microwave to run while the door was open and let it run in the middle of
the desert somewhere so it would paint false radar insallations so that
hopefully someone would bomb the microwave instead of the base.
I'm not sure if that is true or not, but it's funny.

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek