[Az-Geocaching] Checkmate Cache (GC3386) has been Archived

Brian Cluff az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Sun, 3 Feb 2002 22:59:44 -0700 (MST)

> Link it to a ping of the server. If the server is
> unreachable then it won't run the process.

I had thought about that, but more and more, people are filtering out
pings theses days, and that doesn't cover the web server going down.

> Alternatively, you could set a limit on the number of
> caches that will be archived in a day, say three. If
> it detects more than three caches are gone then it
> should ask for manual verification.

Actually this would have to be considerably higher since every once in a
while Jeremy cleans house and archives a bunch of caches that appear to be
missing and also appear to be neglected by their owners.

I'm thinking that a small database of all arizona caches would be in
order, and then just mark them off as archived if they are missing and
alive if they show up again.  Then just do a seperate crawl for the ones
that are marked as archived afterwards.

Anyway, I'm still thinking about it........

Brian Cluff
Team Snaptek