[Az-Geocaching] Communications...

Tue, 31 Dec 2002 10:25:03 -0800 (PST)

(plugging HAM radio again)

While most non-licensed radios and cell phones don't have
service/range in remote areas, we ALMOST always can hit a Ham repeater
on either 2M or 440 band from everyplace we have been so far (which is
pretty remote and far-reaching, even in low areas). You have to know
the frequencies in the area and how to program your radio, but usually
you can find somebody monitoring the different repeaters (frequencies)
and most Hams love to help out in emergencies by making a call for
you. Like I already said, being a licensed Ham creates ALOT more
options for you in addition to the ones mentioned, and the license is
relatively easy to obtain, especially for the mostly
technologically-minded folk here. You don't need Morse code for the
no-code tech license and the study books or courses are an easy way to
learn the material.

Thanks, I will stop now!

(/plugging HAM radio again)

Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott
N7TMY

On Tue, 31 Dec 2002, "Bill" wrote:

They do not share channels, and
cannot talk to each other.  In most cases, a cell phone is better for
emergencies, although nothing will work everywhere.  If you get into a
canyon or behind the wrong hill, everything quits working.

FSR has a range of a mile or two,
while CB is more, if you have a good unit, but both are line of
sight.
Cell phone service gets spotty in the mountains as well.

Bill