[Az-Geocaching] Why I live in Arizona (reason #57)

Team Tierra Buena listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 17 Dec 2002 15:19:51 -0700

Oh... THAT one.

This has been beaten more than the Cardinals in this Groundspeak thread:
http://opentopic.groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=300091
7383&m=5040909045. Net of it is (from my perspective): There are about a
gazillion different ways "Geobuster" could have handled this situation
that would have been preferable to the way he or she did handle it, but
that cache should never have been placed in the middle of a National
Park to begin with.

Personally, I'm more interested in how the geocaching.com application
took an "invalid" cache waypoint (GCBO49) and turned it into a valid
one. The cache you wound up looking at, Trisha, was actually GCAF49, and
the site modified the request in some manner. It looks as though it
treated the "O" in the waypoint as a zero, and then subtracted
100(hex)from it. Fascinating.

Steve
Team Tierra Buena
There is a very fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness". -- Dave
Barry

eatures/junkmail">> http://join.msn.com/?> page=features/junkmail</a>