[Az-Geocaching] What we place in Urban Caches

Ford, Denny listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 10 Dec 2002 07:20:37 -0700

Last night I spoke on the phone with the husband of this lady, and it looks like we have another family that wants to
try Geocaching,
He had asked me where they could get a GPS?  They were looking at the website and said it looked like fun.

In comment to Ken's point of view, Ken said "What is this parent so paranoid about?  I remember back when I was a Cub
Scout, and only 8 years old (I'm not ancient! t - I'm in my 30's now so I was a Cub Scout in the liberal 1970's), I wore
my Cub Scout uniform to school with a pocket knife attached to the belt."

I agree in part that I too and my sons can handle knives and even guns safely, not that I allow them to mess with them
without me.  The true point is there is a large public out there that shelter kids, even to the point my oldest was
suspended from school in the second grade for having a opener/ small blade.  He had picked it up off my table and put it
in his pocket.  School policy stated any blade would result in suspension for two days.

My point is we need to be aware there are families out there that don't teach there kids how to handle tools, and they
think they are better off keeping them away then taking the risk.  This is their right as parents, even though I
disagree.   Therefore to protect our sport we do need to watch what we put into urban caches this will also protect the
un-educated children.

Denny
Tres Hombres