[Az-Geocaching] GeoTheives, and Nightly News

Thu, 05 Dec 2002 08:56:57 -0800 (PST)

I agree with the comments about "GeoThieves"....frustrating, somewhat
costly depending on how you set up your caches, but I feel it is a
risk worth taking. This is pretty obvious, but I will say it anyway.
If we all stopped hiding caches due to losing money/time to the few
dishonest people that are always around, the game would come to a
screeching halt (faster for those who have already found many existing
caches.) Geocaching depends in cache hiders, not cache seekers, to
maintain itself. (I feel like a commercial for geocaching! "So, please
go out and hide a cache today!".... that's a joke)

On another note, did anybody see last night's NBC Nightly News on GPS
technology? They mentioned about every (new) conceivable use for GPS,
except ANY of the games/sports applications. I was surprised, I was
expecting at least a mention of geocaching, or another of the games.
Using it in cars is not new, blind people are using voice-directions
technology (I don't know what else to call it, like a mapping program
that talks to them.) That's really COOL. And, they even track CATTLE
on ranches with GPS technology!!
Good but brief explanation of the satellites, too.

Trisha "Lightning"
Prescott (below freezing last night)