[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Etrex

Farquhar, Larry listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 09:18:05 -0700

Last year, I also learned the hard way to keep your GPS dry. I took mine
"swimming" to get to a cache. Read our log at:
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=4209&log=y&decrypt=

I was worried I had ruined my expensive Garmin GPS V. Water was inside
the GPSr and behind the LCD. I took it apart, blew it out with a hair
dryer and let it sit for a few days. It started to work, but there was a
big 'blob' of water on the screen. After about a week, the screen
finally dried out and all has been fine since then.

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
http:\\www.happy-wanderers.com

-----Original Message-----
From: Ford, Denny [mailto:denny.ford6@honeywell.com]
Sent: Thursday, December 05, 2002 8:55 AM
To: listserv@azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Garmin Etrex

I thought I would share some information with the group.  Last weekend
we were up caching in Prescott/ Sedona with Lazy K and Team Chump, and
we got rained on.  Well Rob and I have Etrex series, and I also had my
RINO.  In the rain, the two Etrex got rain in them under the screen
plate.  Both have quit working, and having to send them into Garmin.
One question that was asked did I have them in a plastic bag?  The unit
is rated for 1 meter of water(non moving) for 30 minutes, I am not sure
rain falls into this category.  Garmin is going to fix mine under
warranty, and were very pleasant about it.  The true lesson, bring zip
lock bags so if it rains you can protect the unit.  I will save a lot of
time and frustration.  BTW, the rino was not affect at all, but I will
in the future have a bag for that also, just to be safe.

 Denny
Tres Hombres

** Confidential **
The information in this email is confidential and may be proprietary or legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are not the intended recipient, please reply to the sender that you received the message in error and then delete or destroy the message along with any attachments. Thank you.