[Az-Geocaching] Top 5 fav caches?

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Tue, 27 Aug 2002 12:35:09 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002 CCoolman74@aol.com wrote:

> OK, I finally narrowed my list to my top 5 overall favorite caches as of
> right now.  It was harder than I expected, but it was fun to go thru the
> list and remember old adventures.  Without further ado, here is my top 5.

It's hard to narrow it down to only 5 and I'm sure the list would change if I
created it a 2nd time.  This list is approximately in order.

#1 910.285 - this is perhaps the most original cache I've run across.  I had
it figured out (more or less) before I did it, but I was wondering how it
would be executed and it surprised me even so.

#2 O Dog #2 - this cache was the first one I had to log a not found on.  I
spent a long time scrambling around the hillside it is on and probably looked
right at the hiding place that I eventually found it at on my first try.  A
second visit with Team Rayzar a few weeks later was successful.  I loved the
hike in Agua Caliente creek/canyon and the challenge pops it onto my top 5
list.

#3 Honey Bee Dam Cache - this is a lovely canyon hike near Tucson.  There are
pretroglyphs to be seen along the hike (some obvious, others not so obvious
and a challenge to find) and the cache was well hidden.  Neat little area!

#4 LoveYouAlwaysDonna - This cache is in Red Rock Canyon west of Las Vegas.
It's a really pretty area with an excellent display of crossbeded sandstone
and nearby wrinkle ridges and other geology.  Only drawback is that if you
are in a hurry (like I was the day I visited it), you have to endure a 13
mile loop road with no bailout points and the cache is at a stop in the first
half mile or so of the road.  It is a lovely scenic drive, though!

#5 The Quest - this was a fun two part cache.  I was surprised it had gone so
long without a visit.

And a few more:

Pocket Change - Excellent way of hiding a cache and only 200 meters from my
office.

G-O BOB - D'backs Baseball.  Geocaching.  Need I say more?

Father Kino - This was a fun mulitcache.  Too bad it didn't survive long.
The clues to the end point were well done.

Thompson Creek - I guess I like nice hikes.  We did this one just after x-mas
and it was a snowy pretty hike into the cache site.  It's not far from Show
Low (and northeast, so it was not affected by the Rodeo fire).  Beautiful
area!

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu