[Az-Geocaching] survey of sorts...

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 23 Aug 2002 12:03:28 -0700

--=====================_9594174==_.ALT

At 12:11 PM 8/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:

Like Team Scotti I was out caching yesterday so I will answer
today.  Actually, I was out caching with Team Scotti. :-)

>1) How did you get introduced to Geo Caching?

I was up late watching the Discovery Channel and they did a short bit on
it.  Sounded fun since I already had a GPSR and there was a few caches
close to my house.

>2) How long have you been a Geo Cacher?

On October 15 it will be one year.

>3) What is your present GPS'r?

I currently have two that I use.  Magellan 315 and a Magellan SporTrak Pro.

>     a) What was your first GPS'r?

The 315 was my first one.

2

>     c) What unit(s) would you recommend to new cachers?

I really like both of mine and would be happy to recommend either.  If
budget is an issue it would be a 315.  If you want mapping you can't go
wrong with the SporTrak.

>4) How long did it take to locate your first cache?

It was probably 3 or 4 days from the time that I discovered
geocaching.  The actual trip for the first cache was about a 20 minute walk.

>5) What has been your most memorable cache?

There have been quite a few.  "Double or Nothing" and "910.285" both come
to mind, but I am sure that I am missing many.

>     a) Why?

I like caches that either have nice scenery or are somehow different than
other caches.  Both of the ones mentioned about fit those categories.

>6) What has been your least favorite cache?

I don't really have a least favorite.

>     a) Why?
>7) What factors dictate which cache you go looking for?

If it is hidden, we will go look for it.  If we are on the road, like
yesterday, I like to find caches that are in clusters to make the most of
our time.

>8) How many other Geo Cachers have you met while on a caching hunt?

One team of 2 cachers.  I have met many at the event cache that we had down
here in Tucson, and others via e-mail, but only Sparky and Groover while on
the trail.

>9) Has that meeting changed the way you cache?

Not really.

>10) When unable to locate a cache how long do you search?

It depends.  If I believe that the cache is really there, I will continue
to look.  There has been many times that I have just about given up and
then find the cache,after I stop really looking for it.

>     a) How many attempts before logging a no-find?

Just one.  I believe that if you look for a cache and can't find it, it
should be logged as a no-find.  For some reason people look at a no-find
log as some sort of failure or shameful situation.  If I can't actually get
to the area of the cache I will log a note.  I also leave the no-find logs
after I go back and find the cache.

>     b) Do you contact the cache owner for help?

I have.  There have been others that I haven't.

>     c) Do you ask other cachers for help?

Same as my last answer.

>11) When driving around are you tempted to go and look again at caches you
>have found before?

Not really.  I have gone back to the area were I found a cache, but not to
the cache itself.

>12) What has been the best trinket in a cache?

Hard to tell, but we found a piece of hand made stained glass in a cache
out in California that we really liked.

>13) What has been the worst trinket in a cache?

There has been a lot of that.  If we don't find anything that interests us,
we don't trade.

>14) Do you leave a signature item?

Not yet.

>     a) Are you considering your own?

They are already on order and should be here very soon.

>     b) Who has the most notable?

While not actually a signature item, I loved the "Yellow Jeep Anxiety
Pills" and wish I would not have placed them in another cache.  Team Sand
Dollars sand dollars are great also.

>15) When in a populated area waiting to retrieve a cache what things do
>you do to pass the time?
>     a) While waiting what was the worst thing to have happen?
>     b) What has been the best thing?

I don't really have any answer to the 3 above questions.

>16) Do you practice Cache in Trash out?

Normally.  If it is a long hike I don't carry as much out, but you normally
don't find as much trash, but have been surprised at times.  I actually
took a whole pickup full of trash to the dump when I hid "The Tucson Bugport."

>17) Your own question for others?

Can't really think of one that you didn't already cover.

Scott
Team My Blue Heaven
www.myblueheaven.com/geocache

--=====================_9594174==_.ALT

At 12:11 PM 8/22/2002 -0700, you wrote:<br><br>
Like Team Scotti I was out caching yesterday so I will answer
today.&nbsp; Actually, I was out caching with Team Scotti. :-)<br><br>
I was up late watching the Discovery Channel and they did a short bit on
it.&nbsp; Sounded fun since I already had a GPSR and there was a few
caches close to my house.<br><br>
On October 15 it will be one year.<br><br>
I currently have two that I use.&nbsp; Magellan 315 and a Magellan
SporTrak Pro.<br><br>
The 315 was my first one.<br><br>
2<br><br>
c) What unit(s) would you recommend to new
I really like both of mine and would be happy to recommend either.&nbsp;
If budget is an issue it would be a 315.&nbsp; If you want mapping you
can't go wrong with the SporTrak.<br><br>
How long did it take to locate your first
It was probably 3 or 4 days from the time that I discovered
geocaching.&nbsp; The actual trip for the first cache was about a 20
minute walk.<br><br>
There have been quite a few.&nbsp; &quot;Double or Nothing&quot; and
&quot;910.285&quot; both come to mind, but I am sure that I am missing
many.<br><br>
I like caches that either have nice scenery or are somehow different than
other caches.&nbsp; Both of the ones mentioned about fit those
categories.<br><br>
I don't really have a least favorite.<br><br>
a) Why?</font><br>
If it is hidden, we will go look for it.&nbsp; If we are on the road,
like yesterday, I like to find caches that are in clusters to make the
most of our time.<br><br>
How many other Geo Cachers have you met while on a caching
One team of 2 cachers.&nbsp; I have met many at the event cache that we
had down here in Tucson, and others via e-mail, but only Sparky and
Groover while on the trail.<br><br>
Not really.<br><br>
When unable to locate a cache how long do you
It depends.&nbsp; If I believe that the cache is really there, I will
continue to look.&nbsp; There has been many times that I have just about
given up and then find the cache,after I stop really looking for
it.<br><br>
Just one.&nbsp; I believe that if you look for a cache and can't find it,
it should be logged as a no-find.&nbsp; For some reason people look at a
no-find log as some sort of failure or shameful situation.&nbsp; If I
can't actually get to the area of the cache I will log a note.&nbsp; I
also leave the no-find logs after I go back and find the cache.<br><br>
I have.&nbsp; There have been others that I haven't.<br><br>
Same as my last answer.<br><br>
When driving around are you tempted to go and look again at caches you
Not really.&nbsp; I have gone back to the area were I found a cache, but
not to the cache itself.<br><br>
Hard to tell, but we found a piece of hand made stained glass in a cache
out in California that we really liked.<br><br>
There has been a lot of that.&nbsp; If we don't find anything that
interests us, we don't trade.<br><br>
Not yet.<br><br>
They are already on order and should be here very soon.<br><br>
While not actually a signature item, I loved the &quot;Yellow Jeep
Anxiety Pills&quot; and wish I would not have placed them in another
cache.&nbsp; Team Sand Dollars sand dollars are great also.<br><br>
When in a populated area waiting to retrieve a cache what things do you
do to pass the time?</font><br>
waiting what was the worst thing to have happen?</font><br>
I don't really have any answer to the 3 above questions.<br><br>
Normally.&nbsp; If it is a long hike I don't carry as much out, but you
normally don't find as much trash, but have been surprised at
times.&nbsp; I actually took a whole pickup full of trash to the dump
when I hid &quot;The Tucson Bugport.&quot;<br><br>
Can't really think of one that you didn't already cover.<br><br>