[Az-Geocaching] Killed my eTrex?

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:29:24 -0700 (MST)

Well, hopefully it will dry out and be fine.  I'd leave the battery case open
and let it dry out for a day or so and see if it comes back to life.  I think
the eTrex (assuming its almost the same as my Legend at least as far as the
case goes) has a small pinhole probably for atmospheric equalization.  I
suspect if it gets deep than 1 meter, it might fail somewhere.  If it doesn't
come back to life after drying out, visit the Garmin service department
either on the web or by phone and I'm sure they'll be happy to help get your
unit back to life.

Jim

On Sat, 17 Aug 2002, Chelby Geiss wrote:

> *sigh* I think I may have drowned my eTrex!  We went kayaking on
> Thursday.  I wasn't too worried about the water.  Says right here in the
> manual "Waterproof to 1 meter for 30 minutes."  I wasn't trying to get
> it wet...but it did take a dip in the lake while I was getting out of
> the kayak one time.  It was in for a split second...I didn't worry.
> Then while trying to find one of the caches on Canyon Lake, it kept
> turning off on me!  Kev took a look at it, opened up the battery
> compartment and found water in it!  UGH!  I've had it apart, hoping it
> will dry out, but there is a haze over the screen and its not coming on:(
> So have I killed it?  What about it supposedly being waterproof?
> This is NOT what I needed right now!  Can't afford a new gps at the
> moment!:(
> C:)
>
> Team desertSol
> Chelby & Kevin