[Az-Geocaching] Response to Jason Poulter

Bob Renner listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 16:32:10 -0700 (PDT)

>From what I have seen in the off trail caches I have
been to, none have shown any signs of a trail being
developed.  Granted, most of these I have visited
earlier in their existence.  However, I visited the
McDowell cache twice many months apart (visitor #1 and
#37).  On the second visit I saw absolutely no
evidence of any new trail being created.  The
vegetation in the area is somewhat sparse and not the
type you want to push through - you tend to want to go
around it.  Other areas of the state likely do have
areas where vegetation might become trampled by people
looking for a cache.  I think it is up to the cache
owner to maintain caches, by either visiting them or
reading the cache logs, and determine when the area is
starting to show the development of trails and then
archive the cache.

As far as the Sign From The Past III cache, the site
is marked on the USGS topo maps of the area, so I can
hardly say it should be kept a secret because it
ISN'T. The amount of additional traffic generated by
the cache has to be small compared to general
exploration of the area.  If it is kept as a virtual
cache, people won't be searching around moving rocks
looking for a cache container.  Perhaps you could give
the coordinates of a suggested parking spot and ask
people to please not try to drive any closer.

Bob