[Az-Geocaching] Response to Jason Poulter

Rand Hubbell - PARKSX listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 12 Aug 2002 12:29:41 -0700

------_=_NextPart_001_01C24236.9B1CAC50

Jason;

I would like to respond to your response to the article written by Christina
Leonard on August 7th.  I think the title of your response was
"Archaeological Sites - Maybe They Caused the Problem Themselves?".

The article that you linked to, was an article about the new trail to Willow
Springs.  If you haven't been to that area you should, particularly after we
get some more rain.  It is a year around spring that is a great oasis in the
White Tank Mountains.

Speaking for the Maricopa County Parks Department, we welcome park visitors,
and we encourage our visitors to get out and hike our trail system.  I think
that there is a clear difference between a Park System, particularly an area
that requires a fee to enter.  And, the thousands of acres of open space
around Arizona.

In the county regional parks system we have a lot of park visitors, around
two million each year.   They pay us a fee, we provide picnic sites, ramadas
and campsites, clean restrooms and a maintained trail system.   We also have
Interpretive Rangers, Park Police Officers, maintenance workers, etc.
Because of the numbers of park visitors we need them to stay on the
established trails, our trail system takes hikers, mountain bikers and
equestrians to locations throughout our parks.   To prevent the
deterioration of the vegetation in the park and for their own safety.   If
you choose to come into a Maricopa County Park, you have to pay five dollars
per vehicle.  We provide all the services and facilities that I listed above
and if your car is still in the parking lot when the park is closing, we
begin a search for you.  If injured or lost, we will find you and be able to
provide first aid and eventually advanced medical care if needed.

The above "Park" scenario is much different than most of the other open
space in Arizona.  Most of Arizona does not have maintained trails, does not
the large numbers of visitors that the parks do.  One of our greatest
concerns is the spider webbing of new trails.   It appears to us that
searchers will follow a trail to a point parallel to the cache and then
trail across country to the location.   A couple of weeks of this and there
becomes a trail or series of trails that converge near the cache.
Non-searchers then see the trail split, or see a path leading off the trail
or see searchers looking wonder what they see that is so interesting and
wonder over.  This then become a problem for us.  If you are in a non-park
environment, spider web trails are not an issue.  If there is not a trail
system, then light paths are not a problem.   Everywhere, there are paths,
cow paths, game trails, etc.

We are asking that if a cache is placed in a Park, place within three feet
of a designated trail.  If a cache is placed near or on a sensitive site we
acknowledge that most searchers will not intentionally cause any damage.
The vast majority will come and go and leave only their foot prints in the
soil.  However, if people will through trash out their car window, they sure
as heck will be up shards or touch a petroglyph if no one is around.  Yes,
the petroglyphs are interesting, the archaeological sites clearly add value
to the cache site.  They provide a bonus to finding the cache.  They were
created 600, 700, 800 years ago and in some cases much longer.   I don't
know how many are in Arizona, and whatever the number I suspect others are
around but have not been found.  There are a lot of archaeological sites in
Arizona.  That's good because they have to last forever.  Petroglyphs are
not being created any longer and everyone damaged or stolen is one less site
for the future, for ever!

I personally don't think it is worth the risk.  You won't cause any damage,
I won't, our friends probably won' t and if we can count on 95% percent of
the Geocachers to not cause any damage then I ask you this question.  Who
will show that 5%, who will cause damage, where our archeological sites are?
Will they have to find them on their own, will they follow the new spider
trails, or will they find the interesting sounding sites on geocaching.com
to discover the remaining petroglyphs.

Why place a cache on a sensitive site?  The game is great, let the discovery
of the cache be the reward in and of its self.

Thanks for your time to read this lengthy rambling response.

Rand Hubbell
Marketing Coordinator
(602) 506-1114

------_=_NextPart_001_01C24236.9B1CAC50

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2654.45">
<TITLE>Response to Jason Poulter</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Jason;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I would like to respond to your response to the =
article written by Christina Leonard on August 7th.&nbsp; I think the =
title of your response was &quot;Archaeological Sites - Maybe They =
Caused the Problem Themselves?&quot;. </FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">The article that you linked to, was an article =
about the new trail to Willow Springs.&nbsp; If you haven't been to =
that area you should, particularly after we get some more rain.&nbsp; =
It is a year around spring that is a great oasis in the White Tank =
Mountains.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Speaking for the Maricopa County Parks =
Department, we welcome park visitors, and we encourage our visitors to =
get out and hike our trail system.&nbsp; I think that there is a clear =
difference between a Park System, particularly an area that requires a =
fee to enter.&nbsp; And, the thousands of acres of open space around =
Arizona.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">In the county regional parks system we have a =
lot of park visitors, around two million each year.&nbsp;&nbsp; They =
pay us a fee, we provide picnic sites, ramadas and campsites, clean =
restrooms and a maintained trail system.&nbsp;&nbsp; We also have =
Interpretive Rangers, Park Police Officers, maintenance workers, =
etc.&nbsp; Because of the numbers of park visitors we need them to stay =
on the established trails, our trail system takes hikers, mountain =
bikers and equestrians to locations throughout our parks.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
To prevent the deterioration of the vegetation in the park and for =
their own safety.&nbsp;&nbsp; If you choose to come into a Maricopa =
County Park, you have to pay five dollars per vehicle.&nbsp; We provide =
all the services and facilities that I listed above and if your car is =
still in the parking lot when the park is closing, we begin a search =
for you.&nbsp; If injured or lost, we will find you and be able to =
provide first aid and eventually advanced medical care if needed.&nbsp; =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">The above &quot;Park&quot; scenario is much =
different than most of the other open space in Arizona.&nbsp; Most of =
Arizona does not have maintained trails, does not the large numbers of =
visitors that the parks do.&nbsp; One of our greatest concerns is the =
spider webbing of new trails.&nbsp;&nbsp; It appears to us that =
searchers will follow a trail to a point parallel to the cache and then =
trail across country to the location.&nbsp;&nbsp; A couple of weeks of =
this and there becomes a trail or series of trails that converge near =
the cache.&nbsp; Non-searchers then see the trail split, or see a path =
leading off the trail or see searchers looking wonder what they see =
that is so interesting and wonder over.&nbsp; This then become a =
problem for us.&nbsp; If you are in a non-park environment, spider web =
trails are not an issue.&nbsp; If there is not a trail system, then =
light paths are not a problem.&nbsp;&nbsp; Everywhere, there are paths, =
cow paths, game trails, etc.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">We are asking that if a cache is placed in a =
Park, place within three feet of a designated trail.&nbsp; If a cache =
is placed near or on a sensitive site we acknowledge that most =
searchers will not intentionally cause any damage.&nbsp;&nbsp; The vast =
majority will come and go and leave only their foot prints in the =
soil.&nbsp; However, if people will through trash out their car window, =
they sure as heck will be up shards or touch a petroglyph if no one is =
around.&nbsp; Yes, the petroglyphs are interesting, the archaeological =
sites clearly add value to the cache site.&nbsp; They provide a bonus =
to finding the cache.&nbsp; They were created 600, 700, 800 years ago =
and in some cases much longer.&nbsp;&nbsp; I don't know how many are in =
Arizona, and whatever the number I suspect others are around but have =
not been found.&nbsp; There are a lot of archaeological sites in =
Arizona.&nbsp; That's good because they have to last forever.&nbsp; =
Petroglyphs are not being created any longer and everyone damaged or =
stolen is one less site for the future, for ever!</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I personally don't think it is worth the =
risk.&nbsp; You won't cause any damage, I won't, our friends probably =
won' t and if we can count on 95% percent of the Geocachers to not =
cause any damage then I ask you this question.&nbsp; Who will show that =
5%, who will cause damage, where our archeological sites are?&nbsp; =
Will they have to find them on their own, will they follow the new =
spider trails, or will they find the interesting sounding sites on =
geocaching.com to discover the remaining petroglyphs.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Why place a cache on a sensitive site?&nbsp; =
The game is great, let the discovery of the cache be the reward in and =
of its self.&nbsp; </FONT></P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Thanks for your time to read this lengthy =
rambling response.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Rand Hubbell</FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Marketing Coordinator</FONT>
<BR><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">(602) 506-1114</FONT>
</P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
------_=_NextPart_001_01C24236.9B1CAC50--