[Az-Geocaching] Clueless Newbie

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 9 Aug 2002 15:29:33 -0700 (MST)

You know, a webpage with a tutorial on using the various mapping and GPS
related programs would be a wonderful thing to have.  Maybe I'm forgetting
just such a page.  I'm tempted to whip up a page of tips and tricks
specifically for geocaching.  Things like downloading waypoints and working
with them.....  Anyone know of just such a site before I invest some time of
my own???

Jim.

On Fri, 9 Aug 2002, Justin Sever wrote:

> I bought my first GPS 2 months ago when I was forwarded the geocaching
> website.   It looked like a lot of fun, and I thought I would give it a
> try.   I went out and bought a GPS and went and found my first geocache.
> When I first started I couldn't enter any waypoints into my original GPS
> (eTrek) without the computer cable connection.   I bought the connection
> and once I had the waypoints in, geocaching turned into a whole new
> ballgame!   It was even better than before!    Within 1 month of buying
> my original GPS, I returned it and upgraded to a more advanced model
> (eMap).    Needless to say I'm hooked.    It has been about 2 months for
> me now, and I have found over 120 caches throughout the state as well as
> several in California.   I wish you the best of luck, and highly
> recommend inputting waypoints in your GPS or getting the cable to to do
> so from your computer if you can't do it manually.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona
Tucson, AZ 85721 USA                 http://www.lpl.arizona.edu/~jscotti/