[Az-Geocaching] Congrats & Invitation to Phoenix

Scott Wood listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 09 Aug 2002 10:00:55 -0700

--=====================_2572665==_.ALT

At 12:32 PM 8/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:

>We will be changing our caches back to normal after the weekend. With all
>the bad publicity, we thought it best to make them members only as a
>temporary basis. Some of our caches are very delicate or specialized and
>would be hard to replace if someone chose to destroy or remove them. Hope
>this isn't too great of an inconvenience.

Let me ask a question.  What exactly does this accomplish?

If you are concerned that a horde on new geocachers will damage your cache,
then what would be the difference if that same horde of new geocachers find
it the second week after the bad article?  If you are only planning on
keeping them member's only for one weekend, aren't you just delaying what
you must consider the inevitable?  If you are concerned that a horde of
land managers are going to be out this weekend and removing caches, what
will prevent them from waiting a week and doing it after they have been
moved back to being normal caches?

Somehow I just see this as wrong.  What is the goal of hiding a cache?  Is
it to provide something for others to find, or is it to help our own
egos?  If someone chooses to destroy or remove our caches, they are going
to do it.  If not this weekend, then perhaps next weekend, or the weekend
after that, or...

I posted a message about this yesterday and only received 2 replies, either
people don't want to talk about this issue, or I am the only one that feels
we are looking very snobbish to new geocachers by trying to hide our caches
from them?  We welcome the new folks who signed up to this list because of
the Republic article, but we don't seem to want them to find our caches
until after this weekend.  I just don't get it.

I will get off my soadbox now, but I really think that those teams that
have made their caches member's only should really consider changing them
back.  If an item is so delicate or specialized that it can't be replaced,
perhaps it shouldn't have been used as a geocache.

Just $0.02 more.

In liberty,

Scott

wood@myblueheaven.com
www.myblueheaven.com

--=====================_2572665==_.ALT

At 12:32 PM 8/9/2002 -0400, you wrote:<br><br>
our caches back to normal after the weekend. With all the bad publicity,
we thought it best to make them members only as a temporary basis. Some
of our caches are very delicate or specialized and would be hard to
replace if someone chose to destroy or remove them. Hope this isn't too
great of an inconvenience.</blockquote><br>
Let me ask a question.&nbsp; What exactly does this accomplish?<br><br>
If you are concerned that a horde on new geocachers will damage your
cache, then what would be the difference if that same horde of new
geocachers find it the second week after the bad article?&nbsp; If you
are only planning on keeping them member's only for one weekend, aren't
you just delaying what you must consider the inevitable?&nbsp; If you are
concerned that a horde of land managers are going to be out this weekend
and removing caches, what will prevent them from waiting a week and doing
it after they have been moved back to being normal caches?<br><br>
Somehow I just see this as wrong.&nbsp; What is the goal of hiding a
cache?&nbsp; Is it to provide something for others to find, or is it to
help our own egos?&nbsp; If someone chooses to destroy or remove our
caches, they are going to do it.&nbsp; If not this weekend, then perhaps
next weekend, or the weekend after that, or...<br><br>
I posted a message about this yesterday and only received 2 replies,
either people don't want to talk about this issue, or I am the only one
that feels we are looking very snobbish to new geocachers by trying to
hide our caches from them?&nbsp; We welcome the new folks who signed up
to this list because of the Republic article, but we don't seem to want
them to find our caches until after this weekend.&nbsp; I just don't get
it.<br><br>
I will get off my soadbox now, but I really think that those teams that
have made their caches member's only should really consider changing them
back.&nbsp; If an item is so delicate or specialized that it can't be
replaced, perhaps it shouldn't have been used as a geocache.<br><br>
Just $0.02 more.<br><br>