[Az-Geocaching] Destruction of geological site(s?)

Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:10:05 EDT

--part1_6e.20b87b1a.2a82f4bd_boundary

My letter to the author of the article and her reply:

I was disturbed after reading your article "A high-tech scavenger hunt" in
today's paper. I am an avid geocacher and am wondering how you arrived at the
conclusion that a cacher was responsible for the damage?  I have logged
nearly 400 finds and have not seen any evidence of damage, vandalism, or
trash at any of the sites I have visited. I am wondering why you directed
your criticism at geocaching and not toward ATV riders? It seems the damage
is directly linked to ATV riders, not geocachers. All the cachers I know
really love the outdoors and try to leave the area as good or even better
than it was when they arrived. We all support a "cache in-trash out" policy.
More information would be appreciated, because if geocaching is truly
responsible for vandalism, we would like to do our part to help eliminate the
problem.

the reply:

Thanks for your note. I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you, but would
prefer to do it over the phone (602) 444-4845. Thanks.

Guess a phone call is in order.
Jean
roadrunners

--part1_6e.20b87b1a.2a82f4bd_boundary

<HTML><FONT FACE=arial,helvetica><BODY BGCOLOR="#ffffff"><FONT  style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=2>My letter to the author of the article and her reply:<BR>
<BR>
I was disturbed after reading your article "A high-tech scavenger hunt" in today's paper. I am an avid geocacher and am wondering how you arrived at the conclusion that a cacher was responsible for the damage?&nbsp; I have logged nearly 400 finds and have not seen any evidence of damage, vandalism, or trash at any of the sites I have visited. I am wondering why you directed your criticism at geocaching and not toward ATV riders? It seems the damage is directly linked to ATV riders, not geocachers. All the cachers I know really love the outdoors and try to leave the area as good or even better than it was when they arrived. We all support a "cache in-trash out" policy. More information would be appreciated, because if geocaching is truly responsible for vandalism, we would like to do our part to help eliminate the problem.<BR>
<BR>
the reply:<BR>
<BR>
Thanks for your note. I'd be happy to discuss the issue with you, but would<BR>
prefer to do it over the phone (602) 444-4845. Thanks.<BR>
<BR>
Guess a phone call is in order.<BR>
Jean<BR>
roadrunners</FONT></HTML>