[Az-Geocaching] Destruction of geological site(s?)

Bob Renner listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 7 Aug 2002 09:10:30 -0700 (PDT)

I found the newspaper article very one sided and blown
way out of proportion.  I think it was written with
the intent of grabbing attention and selling papers
and not with the intent of providing true and accurate
information.

It did not mention if any of the archeologic sites
were open to the public such as Libby's Casa Grande
Ruins cache or Ken's A Sign From The Past IV cache at
Sears-Kay ruins near Seven Springs.  If those are any
of the 18 caches at or near archeologic sites, then
the article is blatently misleading.

There was no mention of the Cache-In, Trash-Out
program and the good it has done at many cache sites.

One other thing that wasn't mentioned is the fact that
there are numerous other sources of information about
archeological sites that can be used by those intent
on plundering.  A quick search found the following
books available at Amazon.com that most likely mention
remote sites.

1. Ancient Treasures of the Southwest: A Guide to
Archeological Sites and Museums in Arizona, Southern
Colorado, New Mexico, and Utah, by Franklin Folsom,
Mary Elting Folsom (Contributor), Rachel Folsom
(Illustrator)

2. Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological
Guide by David Grant Noble (Photographer), Brad Melton
(Editor)

3. The Archaeology of Ancient Arizona by James
Jefferson Reid, Stephanie Whittlesey, Jefferson Reid

And finally, there are companies that provide tours of
Arizona's backcountry and point out such sites.

http://www.pinkjeep.com/
"History enthusiasts will be awed by the opportunity
to visit Authentic Native American Ruin sites, a very
unique Sedona tour."

http://www.archaeologicadventures.com/
"We offer our guests the unique opportunity to probe
the mysteries of the past, to touch history and feel
it come alive while participating in a hands-on
working field program to map and record unexplored
archaeological sites."

Bob Renner