[Az-Geocaching] New cache

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 09:50:20 -0700 (MST)

Looks like it's been approved now.  I just checked the webpage you gave and
there's no pending warning at the top.....

As far as the policy goes on NPS, since the NPS is now enforcing (at least
around Tucson) their policy on abandoned property and geocaching.com has a
warning on their page about placing caches on NPS land, I think it's fair for
them to keep an eye out for caches placed on NPS land, particularly since
running the cache through their own webpages gives them a map that shows the
NPS boundaries with reasonable accuracy.  Of course, this doesn't apply to
your cache, since the fantom coordinates and presumably the final cache site
are both clear of NPS land - a simple e-mail exchange to verify any questions
would be all that is needed.....

Jim.

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Koch, Dan wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Just wanted to get your thoughts on this.  I placed a cache this Saturday
> and submitted a new cache report on geocaching.com that afternoon.  It has
> yet to be approved.  It appears that geocaching.com believes that the cache
> is on National Park land and doesn't seem willing to approve such a cache.
>
> So, first question: What do you think of this 'policy'?  Second question:
> There's not even an NP in the area, but could someone just verify that I
> didn't screw up my calculations?
>
> Thanks!
> Dan
>
> http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=20323
>
> In case that link doesn't work, here is the cache description:
>
> Puzzle:
> Take a sheet of paper that is 0.1mm thick. If you were to amuse yourself by
> tearing it in half and putting both pieces together, and then tearing those
> into four sheets, and repeating the process until you have torn it
> twenty-five times, how high (in meters) would the stack of paper be?
>
> Take your solution, in the form XXYY.ZZX2 and put in into coordinate format
> (XX YY.ZZX) to find your north coordinate. The west coordinate above is
> correct.
>
> The cache can be found at:
> N XX YY.ZZZ
> W 111 27.469