[Az-Geocaching] Amateur Beacon / GeoCache..

C. Sullivan listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 17 Apr 2002 01:09:33 +0000 (GMT)

It's about to happen: a GeoCache that can be found not only by GPS, but by
radio direction-finding.

I recently constructed a small QRP 2 meter CW beacon inside the bottom of
a quart-size paint can.  It has a small solar panel and two AA NiCd cells
for power.  It is capable of transmitting a 100-character message every
five minutes.  My initial tests show it has about a 45mW output.. but
beefing that up to around 150mW should be trivial (one good transistor can
do wonders).

I've given it a lot of thought, and I've decided that I want this little
"rabbit" to be my first GeoCache.  The only problem is, I can't think of a
really good place to put it.  So, here's my challenge.

If somebody out there who is a ham (or other radio hobbyist) can find me a
good mountaintop site to hide a GeoCache, preferably somewhere where a
100mW signal can be heard for enough of a distance to be
challenging / interesting to RDF enthusiasts, and also an interesting
destination for the GPS-equipped.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Feedle (aka Chris KD6COS)