[Az-Geocaching] Are you interested?

Fred Coe listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 23:25:49 -0700

Howdy,

I'm kinda waiting for Bonnie to get home, so I'm sitting here on the
computer.  I came across this cache:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=16679

I can very easily set up one (or even two) of these.

Is there interest?

Here's where to get the info:

Where's Bonnie:  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?kc6dyh-2
Where's Fred:  http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?wa0rto-2

Note that the information is transmitted from the tracker every two minutes.
The pages update every three minutes, and will tell you how old the
information is.  For example, as I type this, Bonnie's last position was
transmitted almost 8 hours ago, my last position was 3 1/2 days ago (I took
the GPS unit on a work trip to Safford this week to locate the cache near
Heliograph Peak and was in to much of hurry to get home to hook it up, but
it should be going during the day on Saturday, 4/13).  Also, since the
information travels by radio for the first part of it's journey not every
transmission makes it to the internet site.

What all that means is even if you have the latest coordinates you will have
to conduct an area search to find the target and hope we don't move while
you're searching (unless you have mobile tracking capability, then we can
play tag APRS tag...)

I'm not sure I would actually place a cache on the vehicle, so you might
have to report, oh, say, the license plate number or other unique feature of
the vehicle.

Now that I think of it, I could put one on my service truck (due in next
month).  I usually travel further a field and to more interesting places at
work....

In any case, I think this would be a very challenging cache.  It would
require deductive ability as well as navigational skill, and luck would play
a part also.  It could be very frustrating.

Let me know if you are interested.

--Fred
Team Boulder Creek