[Az-Geocaching] Another Tucson cache bites it

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 12 Apr 2002 18:06:52 -0700 (MST)

As far as I can tell, FirePoint was actually outside the NPS boundary!  I
happen to have the Avra topo map and the hills it was planted in is east of
the dot-dashed line which I believe is the NPS boundary on the topo.  If the
topo represents reality, the cache owner has a good case here to have the
cache restored.  You can see the line in the topozone map.  I'd have to go
back out there and look for the boundary marking stakes or fence line to see
if the topo map accurately represents the boundary which might have moved
since the last update to the topo in 1992.  As I recall, the fence out there
which the ranger might be interpreting as the NPS boundary, cuts across the
north approach to the saddle that is just west of the hill the cache is on.

Looks like I was just in time in removing my Surveying cache.  Crossroads
Knoll is the obvious next cache on Saguaro NP West that might be removed.
Intrestingly, Ranger51 visited it on March 24.  I wonder if someone in the
local National Park Service office has laid down the law....

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona