[Az-Geocaching] "Surveying" the Desert..

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 13:00:22 -0700 (MST)

The discussion about Scratch 'n Cache over at Saguaro National Park East
being removed by the NPS moved up my timeline for removing the cache
containter for "Surveying" the Desert.  This was my first geocache, and at
the time, I didn't realize that the NPS had rules against geocaches on NPS
land and I also didn't really take careful note about it's being within the
NPS boundaries (I had the impression the Saguaro National Park West was a
little smaller than it is, particularly in the northward direction).  I had
planned to remove it completely and archive it, but as I drove out to the
site, I decided, in part due to some of the discussion on this list and also
some discussion with fellow geocachers offlist, that I should convert it to a
virtual cache and that the NGS marker it was placed next to would be the
focus (as was my intention from the start anyway) of the cache.  So, as of
today, it is now a virtual geocache, for those of you who haven't been out to
it yet.  I'm planning to use the old container and it's contents in a new
geocache sometime soon.

Thanks to all of you who visited it and left log entries and exchanged items
in the cache.  Being my very first hide, I sure had a lot of fun with it and
reading all your comments!  It's still a wonderful little hike in a pretty
area for those who haven't been there yet.

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu
University of Arizona