[Az-Geocaching] Celebrity in our midst.

Jim Stamm listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 07:00:46 -0700

Jim Scotti wrote on 4/10/02 8:38 AM :

>Between Near Earth Asteroids and comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 (you may remember the
>comet that broke up while orbiting Jupiter and crashed into the planet in
>July 1994).

What we weren't told (except by David Levy, the discoverer himself) was
that Jim was actually the first person to see S-M 9 as a multiple object
(I think he used the term "string of pearls").  David called Jim at the
observatory on the night of discovery because S-M 9 looked so strange to
the team of discoverers, and Jim visually confirmed what was later to
become the most fantastic solar system event in human history.

Have I gotten this all correct Jim?

-Jim