[Az-Geocaching] Scratch and Cache archived

Farquhar, Larry listserv@azgeocaching.com
Thu, 11 Apr 2002 05:31:37 -0700

I remember the cache and the log. In hindsight, everything looks okay. It
appears this ranger was curious, checked to see what geocaching was about,
found the cache, made her log entries and voiced her small concern on
environmental impact, and left the cache alone. It appears she didn't see
anything wrong with geocaching. I'm not aware of the Prescott FS removing
any caches. As long as geocacher's continue to be discreet and be respectful
of the environment, I hope we don't have a problem. I think I read on the
geocaching discussion groups that the FS doesn't have a policy on caches
(just the NPS). Since there's no FS official policy, each district can
enforce or overlook their "abandoned property" rule. I think the lack of a
FS official policy is a good sign for geocaching. It's a form of "don't ask,
don't tell". It's up to us to hide and seek geocaches in a positive light.

I sometimes chuckle to myself on how some agencies and people worry about
geocaches. There's tons of old mining equipment, trash, and burned out cars
on government managed land - and they worry about a little box?

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
www.happy-wanderers.com