[Az-Geocaching] Celebrity in our midst.

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Wed, 10 Apr 2002 08:38:50 -0700 (MST)

Well, that interview was before I got into geocaching....  :-)  I'll have to
wait until the transportation system allows geocachers to get to asteroids,
otherwise the guys at geocaching.com will probably not approve a cache on an
asteroid.  I think even the Yellow Jeep would have trouble getting out into
space (at least until Larry installs that new ACME rocket engine mod, but
then I've seen what happens in the cartoons to Wyle when he lights the fuse
on that rocket - it never turns out well for him).

Between Near Earth Asteroids and comet Shoemaker-Levy 9 (you may remember the
comet that broke up while orbiting Jupiter and crashed into the planet in
July 1994), I've talked to a lot of reporters and film-makers over the years.
The producers rarely send me a copy of the film even though most of them say
they will, so I've not seen the History Channel program you saw.

Jim.

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Bob Renner wrote:

> I was watching The History Channel last night and they
> had a show about asteroids.  One of the scientists
> they were interviewing was none other than Tucson
> geocacher Jim Scotti.  Good job Jim.  But how come you
> didn't mention that you were planning on putting a
> geocache on one of the asteroids?
>
> Bob Renner

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu