[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Mapsource for Etrex Legend or Vista

Mon, 08 Apr 2002 16:29:55 -0700 (PDT)

UH....you guys are a bit over my head. I do fine with
paper maps....remember the map book I showed folks at
the Perseid Campout (which, by the way, was not in
Prescott :-))) that our search and rescue group
developed and uses? Altho, we are now computerized with
a laptop and mapping program, and I am one of the
operators, I don't get into the software stuff.....

I can run a trauma code, resusitate a cardiac patient,
but this technology stuff...geez!

Hey, nobody's perfect! ;-)

~~trisha

"Farquhar, Larry" wrote

> Robert,
>
> Are we talking about the same software? Garmin's
MapSource line of software
> used by Garmin GPS'?
>
> It wouldn't be the first time I've misunderstood
something (right Trisha?),
> but Mapsource will only transfer information to a
Garmin GPS. There isn't an
> option for a NMEA transfer to any other brand.
Mapsource automatically
> detects what model of Garmin GPS your using and the
version of the software
> in the GPS. Other brands of software will transfer
NMEA information to/from
> the Garmin, but mapsource can't transfer with any
other brand.

> My Mapsouce Topo maps are only 4 CD's for the ENTIRE
USA. (East Coast, West
> Coast, Alaska, and Hawaii). When you select maps to
be imported into the
> GPS, the file size is provided. The program will even
report if you exceed
> the installed memory that it automatically detects.
Selecting all 153 topo
> maps that cover the entire state of Arizona consumes
30.8MB of memory.

> My "Delorme" 3D Topo for Arizona takes 8 CD's.
>
> Okay Trisha, tell me where I'm messing up again at. :)
>
> Larry Farquhar
> Team "Wyle E"
> www.happy-wanderers.com

Etrex Legend or Vista

> Scott -
>     yes, the Garmin topos do go to 1:100,000.  The
maps are older but still
> useful.  Garmin does sell proprietary software, so
while I believe (although
> haven't tried) you should be able to exchange and
plot NMEA info, but
> markers and specific non-coordinate data would not
exchange unless you use
> Garmin software.  That is not Etrex specific by the
way, but Garmin
> specific.  Maps fall into
> that category as well obviously.  Garmin only works
with Garmin, surprise,
> surprise.  (FYI, you may remember I use the etrex
summit)

> I have borrowed a eMap and can tell you that on
average, the Garmin maps for
> AZ are about 500MB in size.  You can fit about 1 CD
of
> the state of AZ on at a time (there are 7 maps to
topo AZ in this software).
> Some of the newer Garmins have more memory, but I
think you can sort of rule
> of thumb 8 MB to 1 CD for Garmin.
>
> If you are at the Georally, I can show you some of
these features, I have
> the topos loaded on my laptop and use that with the
GPS
> connected for real time locator (make your own
Northstar basically), until I
> purchase an emap, rhino, or equivalent.  It's pretty
slick. You can download
> from Snaptek (thanks guys!) all the cache waypoints
and plot as well as your
> own waypoints in less than a minute.
> It's a real timesaver.
>
> Rob
> Team CHUMP
>
> P.S. I passed you on the stats page this am!  :D
(grin)
>      (if only for a day or two)

Legend or Vista

> Howdy All,
>
> Speaking of software...
>
> Is anyone using the Garmin Mapsource CD software with
their garmin Etrex
> (legend or vista) GPS?
>
> I hear it is the 1:100,000th scale. (7.5' topo's are
1:24,000th).

> What I am wondering is... does the software, when
downloaded, look exactly
> like the real 1:100,000th topos? I have been curious
to here some 'reviews'
> on it as I am looking to purchase mapping software so
I can put some topo
> maps in my Etrex Legend.
>
> I have also heard that the Garmin Etrex (or other
Garmins) only except
> downloaded maps from Garmin's Mapsource? Is this
true? I have heard I can
> use other mapping software to download waypoints and
routes and stuff, but,
> only Mapsoure will actually download maps.
>
> Finally.. are there any other Etrex Legend or Vista
users out there that
> have the Mapsource (or other if so) topo maps in
their GPS's? Exactly how
> much is 8MB of maps? Is that enough for the whole
state of AZ or only a