[Az-Geocaching] New Jersey Geocaching

Jim Scotti listserv@azgeocaching.com
Fri, 5 Apr 2002 16:23:09 -0700 (MST)

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Team Tierra Buena wrote:

> Jim Scotty wrote:
(That should be Scotti... :-) )

> > The number 3 hiding team is
> > from New Jersey - I didn't know you could find anywhere in
> > New Jersey to hide geocaches
>
> Why not? They hid Jimmy Hoffa there!

ROTFLOL!!!

> Seriously, there are (according to geocaching.com) 300 caches in NJ.
> That compares pretty favorably to Arizona's 469, especially if you
> consider that the entire state is smaller than Yavapai County!

Of course, I don't mean any disrespect to New Joisey, er, I mean New Jersey.
I lived on Governors Island about a kilometer off of Manhattan for 4 years as
a teenager (my Dad was stationed there in the Coast Guard) and of course, I
had a great view of the section of New Jersey behind the Statue of Liberty &
got to see the tail end of the building of the WTC back in the early 1970s.
We didn't get to New Jersey very often, though....  And I'm not sure I got
more than 10 miles from the Turnpike either.....  BTW, according to the
websites World stats, Arizona has 561, but I suppose that includes archived
caches?

> Although I consider Arizona my home, I spent most of my life in New
> Jersey. I know (and have probably used) all the jokes. But you might be
> surprised at what you can see there if you are ever lucky enough  to get
> more than 10 miles away from the New Jersey Turnpike (America's UGLIEST
> Road).
>
> I was back for a brief visit earlier this year, and I managed to find
> time to go after four caches, though I only found three. All of them
> were in quiet, lovely county parks (although I will be the first to
> admit the parks were quiet largely because it was the middle of winter).
> Perhaps the most interesting cache site was the one I couldn't find.
> It's part-way up a hill that is about 25-30 air miles from Manhattan.
> From the top of that hill, you can see the taller buildings of the
> Manhattan skyline, which included of course the World Trade Center. The
> top of that hill became an impromptu memorial after September 11, and
> the memorial area is now being maintained by volunteers. It is quite
> moving, particularly to someone like me who remembers seeing the Twin
> Towers from that summit. But I probably would never have gone back up
> that hill had it not been in search of a geocache.

That would have been a great view before September 11....  We got to see all
the big events around the harbor from Governors Island, including Operation
Sail in July 1976 just before we left when my Dad was transfered.  I went to
school in Manhattan for the first 3 years and over on Staten Island the last
year I was there.

> Steve
> Team Tierra Buena
>
> PS: Why are New Yorkers always in bad moods?
>
> Because they know that the light at the end of the tunnel is New Jersey.

Nyuk, nyuk, nyuk!  Theres also a joke about why the Statue of Liberty faces
away from NJ too.....

Jim.

Jim Scotti
Lunar & Planetary Laboratory         jscotti@pirl.lpl.arizona.edu