[Az-Geocaching] A comment on statistics

Cache-Quest cache-quest@home.com
Wed, 26 Sep 2001 14:17:04 -0700

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C14695.EA815360

Teri:

I appreciate your insights and your courage to voice them. I think my =
wife would tend to agree with you.  Perhaps the competition is mostly a =
guy thing.  I do find it interesting that this comment would come from a =
team that is hot on Wyle E's heels.

I like that stats and appreciate the time Snaptek has put into creating =
them.  I think they are fun and interesting.  They prompte discussion =
and help  build the virtual geocaching community in Arizona.

Have fun,
Jerry
Team Cache-Quest
  -----Original Message-----
  From: Teri Hall [mailto:miltarycat@hotmail.com]
  Sent: Wednesday, September 26, 2001 10:47 AM
  To: az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
  Subject: [Az-Geocaching] A comment on statistics

  Ok, this is a tough post for me to add, but I need to get it off my =
back.  I
  know I will probably be the only one who agrees with my thoughts, but =
there
  is always one black sheep in the group right?

  I for one DO NOT like the new statistics.  I had the most fun =
Geocaching
  from the beginning of July (when we found out about Geocaching) =
through the
  beginning of September (before the stats showed up).

  Geocaching has been around since mid 2000.  I had no problem with =
starting
  out knowing I had only X number of caches.  I didn't even give a (fill =
in
  word) that people like Bob Renner etc. had numerous more caches than =
we did
  - since he has been geocaching from the beginning and we had just =
started.=20
  There wasn't a problem until September with people complaining about =
others
  finding their own cache, finding a cache more than once, etc.  Nobody =
cared
  until September 4th.

  Now it is a big competition (maybe not for the females, but =
statistically in
  Sociology, men are BIG on competition).  Who has the best =
difficulty/terrain
  number? (not fair to those who are handicapped or who are not mobile =
enough
  to hit 4's and 5's).  Who has hidden the most caches (gee, I don't =
have a
  job as I was laid off, but to be competitive with team X, I had better =
go
  hide 15 caches to keep up).  And last but not least, who has the best =
cache
  karma? (Do you even know what Karma is?  Is it even a part of your
  religion?)

  Like I said, I will probably be beat down for this, verbally attacked, =
or
  just shunned by the popular, but I don't care.  I do not like the =
statistics
  at all.  We can all come up with our own statistics gathering if that =
is
  what we are concerned with, or just find caches and have fun.  =
Geocaching
  was much more fun before statistics.

  :::Stepping off soapbox:::
  Teri
  Team TJ

------=_NextPart_000_0008_01C14695.EA815360

<HTML><HEAD><TITLE></TITLE>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Teri:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I appreciate your insights and your =
courage to=20
voice them. I think my wife would tend to agree with you.&nbsp; Perhaps =
the=20
competition is mostly a guy thing.&nbsp; I do&nbsp;find it interesting =
that this=20
comment would come from a team that is hot on Wyle E's =
heels.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I like that stats and appreciate the =
time Snaptek=20
has put into creating them.&nbsp; I think they are fun and =
interesting.&nbsp;=20
They prompte discussion and help&nbsp; build the virtual geocaching =
community in=20
Arizona.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Have fun,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Jerry</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Team Cache-Quest</FONT></DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE dir=3Dltr=20
  <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt arial"><FONT size=3D2>-----Original =
Message-----<BR>From:=20
  Teri Hall [<A=20
  =
href=3D"mailto:miltarycat@hotmail.com">mailto:miltarycat@hotmail.com</A>]=
<BR>Sent:=20
  Wednesday, September 26, 2001 10:47 AM<BR>To:=20
  az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com<BR>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] A =
comment on=20
  statistics<BR><BR><BR>Ok, this is a tough post for me to add, but I =
need to=20
  get it off my back.&nbsp; I<BR>know I will probably be the only one =
who agrees=20
  with my thoughts, but there<BR>is always one black sheep in the group=20
  right?<BR><BR>I for one DO NOT like the new statistics.&nbsp; I had =
the most=20
  fun Geocaching<BR>from the beginning of July (when we found out about=20
  Geocaching) through the<BR>beginning of September (before the stats =
showed=20
  up).<BR><BR>Geocaching has been around since mid 2000.&nbsp; I had no =
problem=20
  with starting<BR>out knowing I had only X number of caches.&nbsp; I =
didn't=20
  even give a (fill in<BR>word) that people like Bob Renner etc. had =
numerous=20
  more caches than we did<BR>- since he has been geocaching from the =
beginning=20
  and we had just started.&nbsp;<BR>There wasn't a problem until =
September with=20
  people complaining about others<BR>finding their own cache, finding a =
cache=20
  more than once, etc.&nbsp; Nobody cared<BR>until September =
4th.<BR><BR>Now it=20
  is a big competition (maybe not for the females, but statistically=20
  in<BR>Sociology, men are BIG on competition).&nbsp; Who has the best=20
  difficulty/terrain<BR>number? (not fair to those who are handicapped =
or who=20
  are not mobile enough<BR>to hit 4's and 5's).&nbsp; Who has hidden the =
most=20
  caches (gee, I don't have a<BR>job as I was laid off, but to be =
competitive=20
  with team X, I had better go<BR>hide 15 caches to keep up).&nbsp; And =
last but=20
  not least, who has the best cache<BR>karma? (Do you even know what =
Karma=20
  is?&nbsp; Is it even a part of your<BR>religion?)<BR><BR>Like I said, =
I will=20
  probably be beat down for this, verbally attacked, or<BR>just shunned =
by the=20
  popular, but I don't care.&nbsp; I do not like the statistics<BR>at =
all.&nbsp;=20
  We can all come up with our own statistics gathering if that =
is<BR>what we are=20
  concerned with, or just find caches and have fun.&nbsp; =
Geocaching<BR>was much=20
  more fun before statistics.<BR><BR>:::Stepping off =
soapbox:::<BR>Teri<BR>Team=20
  =
TJ<BR><BR>_______________________________________________________________=
__<BR>Get=20
  your FREE download of MSN Explorer at <A target=3D_blank=20
  =
href=3D"http://explorer.msn.com/intl.asp">http://explorer.msn.com/intl.as=
ocaching=20
  mailing list<BR>Az-Geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com<BR><A =
target=3D_blank=20
  =
href=3D"http://listserv.snaptek.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocaching">http:=
//listserv.snaptek.com/mailman/listinfo/az-geocaching</A><BR></FONT></DIV=