[Az-Geocaching] MapSource Question

Larry Farquhar lfar@home.com
Tue, 2 Oct 2001 17:31:55 -0700

I've been using MapSource MetroGuide and Topos for awhile. I just upgraded
and received the MetroGuide that also does routing (used by StreetPilot and
GPS V). It's okay, but not the greatest. However, it's the only program that
I can load new street maps to my GPS with. The Topo is also okay, but not
great. It doesn't use standard USGS topo maps, so the road detail isn't
there. Depending on where my cache hunts take me, I either load Topo maps or
detailed street maps using these programs.

In addition to MapSource, I have Delorme's Map N Go, Street Atlas, Topo USA,
and AZ Topo Quads. I started with a Delorme laptop GPSR. Of these, I use the
AZ Topo Quads the most. I plan my cache hunts, and print detailed topo maps
of the area. These are the standard USGS topographical maps, so the detail
isn't any better than any others. It depends on how current the map is.
About 25% of the marked Jeep trails on the topo maps are closed. But I do
find having these topo maps come in real handy.

I'd like to compare Delorme's topo with some other brands. I've heard some
of them are real good. Anyone using something good?

There's a few free and shareware programs available. Also, all of the AZ
topo maps are available free for download from the Internet. I use to
download topo maps and print them out. What a pain!

Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
www.azjeeper.com