[Az-Geocaching] I don't love the stats

Baja Fleg az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Mon, 31 Dec 2001 09:01:02 -0700

Like I said Stephen I really don't care about peoples opinion I just want
our information down.  Of course how many caches someone finds is public
information but when its all grouped into one website with how many you find
each day, per week, per month, and what your "cache carma" is along with
other things then that crosses the line.
Also CBX2 is very correct, the stats are probably a great thing if you want
to be included in them, we don't.  I really am not trying to be difficult
here, I just want our privacy respected.  Everyone geocaches for their own
reason and stats is not part of ours.  It really does make it not fun for
us.  We used to be huge Geocachers, probably found 5-10 every week, but
around mid-October we just stopped.  It was because of the contest that we
feel the stats have made it out to be and how everyone could basically watch
us from the web.  Stephens proves that.  Also Stephens post points out how
much of a contest this can be and how "big brother" really does come into
all of this.
So I'm not saying the stats are bad, just bad for us.  I also thing this
email group is great, we still get out to Arizona about once every two
months so its nice to know what's going on and how our old friends are
doing.  I've met most of you guys and get along with you all so I apologize
for being difficult but its just one of those things we want no part of and
now its really crossed the line.

Michael

----Original Message Follows----
My opinion is if you don't like the stats, then don't look at them.  And I
don't see how it's personal information how many you did and when.
(Everyone can see that I did 6 on Saturday and 3 on Sunday, oh no!!!!)  In
fact, I've found the stats a big help because it's helped me organize groups
of caches to do by seeing what others have done on the same day.

Assuming the information is correct, I looked at the number of AZ caches
completed since November 1st for the Top 10 people according to Snaptek's AZ
rankings (what the website told me as of about 7 PM yesterday):

1. n4/c = 80
2. srdrake = 62
3. trail gypsy = 60
4. wyle e = 54
5. cache-quest = 47
6. mike the mutant = 36
7. cbx2 = 33
8. bob renner = 29
9. wolfb8 = 13
10. team tj = 0

(I didn't look at caches done since 11/1 for those not in the current Top
10.)

The caveat is that I began geocaching on 11/22 and n4/c around the beginning
of November.  We have been able to go after a lot of the easy urban ones
that the more experienced have gone after prior to November.

I think it would be interesting if the Snaptek site would (besides the
overall totals), provide totals for the current month.  We could see who's
currently possessing the most obsessive-compulsive geocaching habits at the
moment.

One thing interesting about Wyle E's geocaching habits...  In achieving a
total of 210, they/he has never done more than 7 caches in one day.   (I may
have missed a bigger day.)  That is slow, steady commitment to this hobby.

My only complaint about the stats is that it shows caches "not completed,"
which could influence someone choosing not to log a "can't find" log.  As it
is, I believe most geocachers only log their successes and not their
attempts (which would be helpful to all of us).

-Stephen