[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching Etiquette

Stephen Drake az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Fri, 28 Dec 2001 05:53:31 -0700

During the past 48 hours I've had a strange situation with a geocacher
in San Diego.  Last Saturday I attempted his cache but encountered many
"Trail Closed" signs 300 feet before reaching the cache site in a small
canyon.  I posted a note log that basically stated that I was hesitant
to look for the cache due to the signs and believe the cache should be
relocated to the area before the signs.  He deleted my note log and told
emailed me that I was giving information to other cachers that will
discourage them from looking for his cache.  I then put a new note log
on his cache that said the signs made me hesitant to look for the cache
and after a brief search I gave up.  I made no mention of any suggestion
that the cache should be moved.  Again he deleted my note log and told
me via email that he takes his caches seriously and says that my log
paints a false picture of my cache since other people have found it
despite the signs.  So, I put a 3rd note log in that again says the
signs discouraged me but I thanked him for putting together a cache and
that I enjoyed the hike and attempt.  I'm dumbfounded that a cache owner
would delete all logs of people who don't find his cache.  I thought
that's what the note logs are for.  I emailed him and told him he's
paranoid.

If interested in seeing the cache...  bring up the 25 caches closest to
zipcode 91910.  It's the one titled "Ernie."