[Az-Geocaching] RE: Cache info?

Larry Farquhar az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:52:43 -0700

Hi Capt. Rod & Team Dcachers!

Welcome to the wonderful world of GeoCaching! Be careful, it can get
addicting. We've taken a love for cache hunting for many reasons, but using
the Jeep to go find many caches is one them. Jeeps have always been my other
pastime. You'll have a blast!

As you know, the "El Camino Del Diablo" trail is about 130 miles the entire
West/East route. However, the Eastern section is currently closed. This
leaves two options to get to Tule Well. From the West, or from the North.
>From Wellton (West route), it's about 50 miles one-way. Christmas Pass Trail
(from North - starts in Tacna), is about 45 miles one-way. You're looking at
a 8 - 10 hour drive (in and out). Offroad speed is 5 to 15 mph, depending on
the section of road. Some is real easy, some makes you slow down.

It "would" be possible to get to Tule Well and out in one day, but why rush
it? We took our time, and got to Tule Well after 7 hours (from Wellton). We
camped at Tule Well, and took another 6 hours to go out the East side to
Ajo. We didn't know the East section was closed, and got stopped by the
Border Patrol and the Fish & Game. They were nice, but were not happy that
we came across the closed road.

Be sure you check if the roads are open that you want to drive. I don't see
any problems on any other road, except Tule Well East to Ajo. That's where
the problems are.

I saw your name show up on the two cache finds. Sorry you had problems
Emailing me. The geocache site has problems with either the spaces or the
quotes in our team name. Other's have also had problems with Email from the
web. Glad you found me.

BTW - there's also an Arizona geocaching email list and "unofficial" web
site for Arizona cache statistics. We get some good information from each
other on the EMail list. Check out: http://snaptek.geocaching.com and also
sign up on the Email list there. (I've cc'd the list on this conversation).

See 'ya on the trails sometime!
Larry Farquhar
Team "Wyle E"
www.azjeeper.com