[Az-Geocaching] How not to geocache

Bob Renner az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Mon, 10 Dec 2001 07:54:34 -0700

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Now is probably not a good time to tell you that most PU truck rear
windows pop out fairly easily.  They're just held in by the rubber
gasket and they can be pried out without too much trouble.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Wood [mailto:wood@myblueheaven.com]
Sent: Sunday, December 09, 2001 6:10 PM
To: az-geocaching@listserv.snaptek.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] How not to geocache

Thought that I would post this here first since there seems to be
something
wrong over at geocaching.com preventing me from logging today's finds.

After doing a few odd jobs around the house this morning I decided that
would go out and find a few caches on my own since Ann went to the 4th
Avenue Street Fair.

Everything started off pretty much normal but as I approached the cache
area for "Sticky Fingers After the Saguaros" I was right behind a white
Ford pickup that parked right where you would park for this cache.  I
decided to head back up the road aways and wait for it to come back out
as
I figured that there might be a good chance they were also looking for
the
cache.  While I was waiting, a white car started going back and forth on

the road in manner that made me think that they were also waiting.  Of
course with my "GPSHUNT" personalized plates I figured my intentions
were
pretty clear. :-)  Anyway, I decided to kill some time and went back to
the
Circle K to get something to drink and some munchies.  When I arrived
back
near the cache area I met the white pickup on the way out so I figured I

had a good chance of getting in.  As I parked, a silver car pulled up to

the area and was looking around so I thought there might be a chance
that
this was still another cacher and decided to move quickly to get out of
the
pickup and into the desert.

The only problem with moving quickly was that I went and locked my keys
into my pickup.  At first I didn't think that this would be all that big
of
a deal since I did have a cell phone with me.

I went out and found the cache with no real trouble.  Logged my find,
made
my trade and started working my way back to my pickup.  On the way I met
guy that was parked back in the area in a white Ford pickup, don't know
if
it was the same one or not.  We exchanged hellos and I was on my way.
When
I got back I started calling anyone and everyone who would have access
my spare set of keys.  The only problem was that no one was answering
their
phones.  I decided to sit and wait a little while to see if I could get
ahold of anyone.

After about 45 minutes the guy that was in the "second" white Ford left
and
I tried calling again.  Still no answer.  I decided to do the drastic
thing
and break a window so I could leave.  Found a big rock, wrapped it in a
sweatshirt and gave it a very healthy swing at the side window.  I
really
didn't want to break the back one.  The rock hit the window, bounced
back
and hit my hand, and the window remained perfectly intact.  Of course my

hand was a lot worse for wear.  Breaking down I finally took a swing at
the
back window and had no trouble breaking it out and getting into the
truck.

Guess this now counts as the most expensive, and painful cache for Team
My
Blue Heaven.

Team My Blue Heaven -- Scott

PS.  I will post a picture of the aftermath on the cache page as soon as

the system will let me.