HMMMM!
Now there's a new twist that I wonder about.
You say you were actually PREVENTED from logging a find on an archived cache?
Anyone have that happen before?

Jared Ross wrote:
Haha! Well thanks for asking Brian. We ended up with
80 official finds. I say "official" because one of our
earlier finds was on one of the archived Cell Tower
Caches (#3 to be exact). Now I know we shouldn't have
even attempted to find it since it was archived but I
had noticed that cachers were continuing to find some
of the others so we decided to see if the container
for this one was still there. Well it WAS and right as
we found it a security guard pulled up. I was already
thinking about how to explain our situation to him but
instead it went like this:

Security Guard (SG): You guys working on that thing
again?
Me: (Thinking it was some kind of play on words and he
knew about the cache) Umm... yeah.
SG: Man, there have been a lot of you guys out here
working on this thing, I'm not sure what's wrong with
it but blah blah blah blah blah blah blah...
Me: Oh yeah (currently I'm removing the log and
signing it.
SG: Yeah, blah blah blah. I use to be a bodyguard,
blah blah blah.
Me: Wow, that's interesting. (now I'm handing the
container back to heather so she can replace it while
this guy rambles)
SG: Yeah, I've killed a few people but and I know
people that have gone insane from that type of work
but I didn't let it bother me so I'm fine. Then my
sister, I've got 52 cousins and I'm the only boy. Blah
blah blah blah...
Me: Wow. (Man is this guy ever going to shut up!)

Okay so finally after 20 minutes of this guy non-stop
rambling about various different things of his life
that he should really keep to himself he finally left.

We proceeded on and decided to push ourselves until we
could get 81 (to round our total count to 600).
Instead when I went to log this cache I was greeted by
a message that said it was Locked and would not accept
anymore logs.

So we hosed ourselves on that one and looking back we
should have known better than to find an archived
cache anyway. So there ya go! A simple question with a
not so simple answer. Sorry for boring anyone that's
read this far. :)

Take Care,
Jared

--- Brian Casteel <bcasteel@uccinc.net> wrote:

That is oh so wrong to leave us hanging like that.
How many caches did you
end up with?  :)

Brian
Team A.I.

From: "PATRICK FINLEY" <Fastball50@msn.com>
To: <listserv@azgeocaching.com>
Subject: Re: [Az-Geocaching] Wow
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2005 21:35:52 -0700

I think Ken has hit the nail on the head. This is

game/hobby folks! I

think some of you take this >WAY to seriously. We

too were obsessed with

geocaching and the numbers for quite awhile, but
after stepping back a
little, realized that in the whole realm of

things,

this doesn't mean

squat. We >now enjoy going after caches that we

really "want" to pursue,

instead of just going after caches >to add to our

numbers. We exceeded our

personal goals and realized just how
compulsive/obsessive this game can
be. Of course, where we are located right now, we

probably >couldn't get

20-25 caches in a day, anyway. Geocaching is

supposed to be "fun", and I

think some >of you have seemed to lost sight of

that. There's plenty of

other things to do out there, and >maybe some of

you who spend hours on the

computer everyday, should keep that in mind. The
best days I ever had in
Geocaching have been the days where myself,

AJ.JR,

Sprocket, Highway

Havoc, Malcolm of Taylor's Tomb Raiders, RTW,

and

various other cachers

have taken tough hikes >to beautiful places and

gotten only one cache in a

day. Sharing the day with your friends in the
outdoors is what it's all
about. It seems anymore that the the majority of

posts on the listserv have

nothing to do with caching or discussing

geocaching, but are more of a

social nature If thats the >direction the

listserv

is heading ,than so be

it. I've never shyed away from expressing my

opinion, >and Jeff has stated

how HE feels about co-FTF's, which is only HIS

opinion. I'm sure Jeff has

other >things going on in his life right now, but

it's really nobody elses

business. Also,Trisha has other >things going on

in

her life right now that

are a lot more important than geocaching and I

would >guess she's put

things into perspective. Just let it go and move

on

to something else, like

the next >pizza event or whatever.............<<

I agree. I used to be big into the numbers. In

fact,

the day I started
geocaching was the day I decided I was going to go
after #1 in the AZ
rankings! :)) I think it was two years later when

finally hit that #1
spot. I took a second stab at it and held it again
for a short time later
down the road. Today, I just geocache strictly for
fun. I dont even look at
the azgeocaching rankings much anymore. I
acccomplished my goal and now I
can kick back and just enjoy each cache I find. I
truly enjoy the same types
of caches that Flatiron enjoys. That being the
wilderness type and hiking
caches. Just being outdoors in the country. I am
currently up in Sedona
where I spend my summers now. All the caches up

here

are of this nature and
I have truly enjoyed each and every one I do up
here. I like to enjoy the
hike and take my time at each cache. I am not in a
rush to move on to
another one anymore. I do the caches I enjoy doing
and just dont bother with
the ones that I do not enjoy. One of the most

unique

caches I ever done was
when I took my balloon and ascended up to the top

of

a rock (Shiver Me
Timbers cache) to claim a first find. Oh, and

there

was NO co-FTF jeff! I
claimed the first find officially! LOL Although we
all worked together to
make each of our finds possible that morning...

not

even I could have found
that cache without the help of the other

geocachers

and my crew. If there is
a true Co-FTF.. this would have been the cache

(but

since it was my
balloon.... we all agreed to let me sign the

logbook

first and claim the
first find! LOL).  I was in the company of

Rugerdog,

AJ.JR and Flatiron and
we had an awsome time. That was probably the most
fun I had ever had
geocaching. It was a very social and fun morning.
For me, combining two
things that I enjoy doing most... made for a grand
adventure. Anytime I can
get out and go for a hike for a cache with another
team is always fun and
makes the hunt more enjoyable and social. I havent
found a cache in over a
month now. In fact, I found my first cache since
July 23rd just a couple of
days ago. Up here, I now have to drive 30 miles

just

to find one cache. With
the cost of gas these days... I just dont bother

go caching much.
Anyways, back to the topic.. I must say that when

was caching for the
numbers and seeking that #1 status... I also found
my attitude toward the
game a bit different than it is now. It irritated

me

when I saw what "I
considered to be"  a not so legitimate 'find' log

or

whatever (and I will
not get into what I consider not legitimate for

fear

of someone drilling me
a new a**hole on the listserv! LOL). I always kept
it to myself though and
perhaps in some private discussions with other
cachers. But to each their
own... everyone is welcome to play the game as

they

see fit. My personal
rule of thumb... a rule I have had since the first
day I geocached and still
a rule today... if I cant put my name in the cache
logbook, I dont claim a
find log on it. To me, just putting my eyes on the
cache isn't a find. If
there is a rattlesnake sitting on the cache... I
will either move it or wait
for it to move, because I have to get that logbook
in my hands to sign it.
But that is just how I prefer to play the game. I
dont care how others play.
These days, I dont have to rush off to find

another

cache for a 'big
numbers' day and I dont mind waiting for the snake
to leave on it's own! :))

Scott
Team Ropingthewind

visit:

protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

DISCLAIMER:
This message is confidential, intended only for the
named recipient(s) and may contain information that
is privileged or exempt from disclosure under
applicable law.  If you are not the intended
recipient(s), you are notified that the
dissemination, distribution or copying of this
message is strictly prohibited. If you receive this
message in error, or are not the named recipient(s),
please notify the sender at either the e-mail
address or by calling the telephone number
associated with this transmission. Please delete
this e-mail from your computer (or discard this
fax).  Thank You.