From: Brian Casteel
To: az-geocaching@listserv.azgeocaching.com
Sent: Monday, January 06, 2003 11:40 PM
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] RE: Oregon bureaucrats propose using GPS to track each driver's

What surprises me is how the ACLU hasn't pounced all over this.  The public will not go for this, not only due to the 'Big Brother' feel it has, but for purposes the government doesn't want to admit they would like to use the technology.  Not that I'm playing conspiracy theorist or anything *grin*, but whenever something of this nature comes about, there are always those devious few who would like to see it used for greater control measures.  Hell, look at how far the magnetic guidance concept flopped after testing in S. Cal, where vehicles would be controlled by magnetic force on the road to handle speed/driving, in order to improve traffic congestion.

Technology similar to the proposed already exists in the public sector in the way of vehicle anti-theft systems.  A US-based company manufactures an alarm system that allows the vehicle to be tracked via GPS in realtime using either a computer or a cellphone.  It can also be used to control functions of the car, such as starting/stopping the engine, rolling up windows, etc...  This of course being at the absolute discretion on the part of the consumer, and not something forced on them.  To require GPS tracking in vehicles, then charging by the mile is ridiculous.

The only thing I can say in favor of this is based on a VERY limited scope where it would be of benefit.  Law enforcement could benefit from this technology by tracking a pursuit vehicle without engaging in a pursuit (or after termination), and coupled with helicopter monitoring, track the vehicle via GPS, in order to improve the chances of recovery/arrest.  However, the above mentioned reasons against the technology far outweigh this small benefit to an isolated population segment.  Just my .02

Brian
Team A.I.