[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Colorado 400t

moosemob at cox.net moosemob at cox.net
Thu Apr 23 09:26:50 CDT 2009

If you turn off the electronic compass, the arrow will point the wrong
way about 3% of the time instead of 30% of the time.  You will also see
you battery life extend by 2-3 times.  A set of rechargeables last me
about 7-10 hours with no compass and minimal backlighting.

I love the 2000 cache capability with full cache pages.   When I was
using my 60csx, I would tend to leave my PDA in the car, or worse.. not
updated with current data or left at home.

I have not played with the picture viewer yet.

I load my found/owned caches in as POI's so I have that info if needed.

The screen is AWESOME compared to any other GPS I have used.  Of course,
I hear the DeLorme PN-40 is a front runner in that arena.

It has it's nuances.
The arrow has been known to point 180 out on occasion, when it does,
just use the numbers to get close to the cache.  If you walk a straight
line for 30-50 feet it will eventually fix itself.  This problem
typically only happens when you are under 100 feet.

The file system takes a bit to get used to, but doable.

I hope this helps.