[Az-Geocaching] Garmin Colorado 400t

TeamShack TeamShack at comcast.net
Thu Apr 23 00:32:38 CDT 2009

I purchased my 400T back in November and LOVE it.  In comparison to other
models, the interface took a little getting used to.  One of the best
features on it as far as I am concerned is the ability to customize the user
profile to have everything that you normally use, right at your fingertips
rather than hunting through endless menus.  I find it to be very accurate
very quick and was surprised when I was able to get good accuracy from
inside the house.

The paperless geocaching  aspects are fantastic.  When uploading a GPX file
you get the description, hint and latest logs.  While you can enter field
notes into the unit, I find it too time consuming to turn the little wheel
to find each character.  It still records the time and date of the log entry
to make it easy to update online when you get home.  When traveling you can
download the field notes onto a laptop and then edit them using the text
mode of just about any word processing program.  Uploading and posting logs
is a breeze.

I have noticed some slowing of the unit when I have more than 2000 caches
loaded even on the SD card.  I don't need to have all those loaded all at
once and have found 1000 a happy medium.  If I'm traveling, I have a couple
of extra SD cards that I load up with additional cache databases for the
particular city.

The only con that I have with it is that battery life is very poor.  I have
solved this by purchasing 4 sets of rechargeable lithium ion's.  One option
that would be very beneficial is if it would recharge batteries while
plugged into the automotive power cord.

That's my $385 worth...  GREAT unit that is hard on batteries!

Scott of TeamShack