[Az-Geocaching] Winter camping - where?

Jake Olson jake.teamai at gmail.com
Thu Jan 25 10:51:23 MST 2007

The only true "winter camping" I did as a scout was a trip up to Mormon Lake
in the middle of january.  We went past the lake and hiked up the side of a
mountain for a ways.  There was about a foot to a foot and a half of snow we
had to deal with.

The only other camping trip that came close was a couple of trips to Beaver
High Base during the month of july.  When the elevation is over 10,000 feet,
it doesn't matter what the month is, it's still dang cold.  I still cringe
at the thought of having to qualify for the water activities by swimming a
quarter mile in the lake up there.  At 10,000 feet, the water wasn't cold,
it was "DAMN COLD!".

Oh yeah, on the trip up to Mormon Lake, I remember on advisor had a 4x4
Subaru station wagon, but the other advisor had a compact 4 door car... I
don't remember the model, but I remember it didn't like altitudes above
9,000 feet.  We usually had to hike an extra mile or so because that car
didn't like the thin air.  The 4x4 station wagon didn't have any ground
clearance, it was only useful when driving on ice or mud, and not much at
that.

Jake - Team A.I.