[Az-Geocaching] Geocaching hints

Roping The Wind arizcowboy at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 24 10:34:07 MST 2007

>From: "Cordell Harris" <>
>To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
>Subject: [Az-Geocaching] Geocaching hints
>Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2007 06:23:09 -0700
>
>Since I'm involved to a certain extent (it's my cache that started the
>rant), but not so thin skinned as to take it personally.... Here is
>how I see it.  Caches generally fit three broad categories: 1) The
>standard ammo box type container in a non-urban setting. (as someone
>said; "in the desert under rocks").   2)  Then, all other containers
>and mysteries hidden in non-urban area.  Followed by 3) LUMs, Lame
>Urban Micros.

I didnt mention the name of the cache or the cache hider in my post for that
reason! But since you came forth! :) My post wasnt a 'rant' really. That
cache experience, along with an email I got from another cacher yesterday
that couldnt find a cache on Sunday... both made me think about the
decrypted hints. I know my caches never had hints on them. But lately, as I
have been doing more hiking caches... it has crossed my mind lately about
the need to at least give some kind of direction to the location of the
cache. I just dont think it's fair to send someone all the way up the top of
RTW-1 cache only to not find the cache. There is an error in GPS
positioning, between the hider and the finders GPS, that can be up to 30' or
more off. With that, I added hints to my caches. This error range could
indicate the cache is on top of a cliff or it could be at the bottom. I
agree with Jared in that it is indeed about the journey and the location.
Although, as much as I enjoyed the journey (or the hike in this case) out to
a cache, I have now seen it and would like to explore another spot or a new
trail around our beautiful state. The journey is as much a fun part of
wilderness caching as is the location. One thing I particularly enjoy about
wilderness caches is that you have to find the route to get to it. Its not
always obvious. You can walk straight to it, only to find a canyon 300'
before you get there blocking your access. I like pre planning with mapping
software and google earth and the like and that is all a part of wilderness
caching. With that, the cache hide is really all about the journey and the
location... not the find itself.

I dont think all wilderness caches should be or have to be ammo boxes...
although they do hold up great to weather and even fire, as has been proven
in the past, and animals will likely not drag one off! I think it is fun to
find a fake cactus plant laying on the ground amongst all the others out
there too. Thats a very creative hide for a desert environment and its
perfectly ok to be creative
. But the tougher the hide, should call for a bit of direction in a decypted
hint (the hint is ONLY if a cacher chooses to look at it... after an hour of
searching, they will probably want to see it!!!).

As far as DoubleBoogies caches goes (the one I couldnt find yesterday)... I
actually found the suspect location (as evidenced by an item laying there
that was likely holding the cache) within a few minutes of searching. But
since I had hiked over 2 miles out into the desert, I felt it only fair to
myself to continue my search in case that what I did find was not where the
cache was. There was a good number of rocks to search under. So I continued
to search. Oh and yes, I did use the 'geocaching hotline' too! (this doesnt
always work though, since you may be out of cell phone range). I came to the
realization that maybe an animal made off with the cache and so I even
expanded my searching, hoping to still find it nearby. I am more interested
in seeing a hint to help me determine whether a cache is even there/gone
missing, rather than to just have a hint to find it quickly. After an email
from the owner, that was indeed the cache. It would have been an easy find
that would not have needed a hint anyways really. Although, the hint would
likely narrowed my thought process down (in this case, knowing it was indeed
missing).

I must say, that I did enjoy the search on this cache alot more than I have
in the past while trying to find urban caches. I was out in the desert alone
where there wasnt a constant flow of people walking or driving by and I
could search and not have to go into a so called 'stealth' mode. While
searching, I was enjoying the views and the fresh smells of the desert plant
life and just simply being in the great outdoors and not searching behind a
store garbage can or in a wal mart parking lot! With that, I still very much
enjoyed the experience. For that, I think Doubleboogie's cache achieved its
goal (to get me out there to enjoy the location). Still, I sure would like
to have had a smiley face on my log! ... and no, I would never dream of
claiming a 'find' on this cache unless my name was in the logbook!

In fact, tomorrow morning I will be making the hike back out to this cache
with the cache owner and I will get my name in that logbook yet! :)

Scott
Team Ropingthewind