[Az-Geocaching] GSAK

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Wed Jan 10 11:11:40 MST 2007

42.

  _____

From: az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com
[mailto:az-geocaching-bounces at listserv.azgeocaching.com] On Behalf Of EMa
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2007 11:06 AM
To: listserv at azgeocaching.com
Subject: [Az-Geocaching] GSAK

I had this questions asked and was not sure how to answer it since I only
use it on a small scale.  Any thoughts???

For the last few years I've been using various methods of translating GPX
pocket queries (PQ) into HTML which allowed me to take my GPS and palm
device and go geocaching without a bunch of paper.  Last year I got GSAK
which really improved the whole conversion process and added cool features
to the process.  Then I got a laptop and decided to show my wife the whole
process of converting GPX to GSAK to HTML to Plucker to Palm device.  She
laughed so hard milk would have flown out her nose if she had been drinking
milk.  Then simply said, "I have a laptop.  All I need is that and GSAK."

Now that I'm GSAK centric I've been wondering about how the best way to
manage the GSAK database.  In the past I've had different database for every
PQ.  One for home, one for Long Beach, one for Portland, one for the route
from SEA to PDX .  It seems to me that one monster database might be an
easier way to go, I just need to figure out how to filter properly.  Also, I
typically PQ only for active caches that I haven't found.  I'm only
interested in the caches I can find (I learned my lesson of making sure
caches were active after doing a multi hour multi cache to end up in the
owners front yard with him telling me the cache was inactive for the winter
.)  But I'm not sure how GSAK handles a cache that goes from active to
inactive or archived - do they get removed from the GSAK database if they
aren't in the GPX or does GSAK synch the database with the GPX by updating
the caches that are in the GPX and leaving the caches that aren't in the GPX
un-updated?

Anyway, this whole question boils down to what are best practices for using
GSAK?  One big database?  Multi databases?  Is there a CQ set-up that will
improve my GSAK usage, like should I set the PQ to show include my found,
inactive, and archived caches so GSAK can tag them properly?