[Az-Geocaching] GPS

Brian Casteel bcasteel at uccinc.net
Sun Feb 26 11:25:08 MST 2006

The problem with GPS units is the proprietary nature of the mapping
software.  Garmin can't use Magellan maps and vice versa.  However,
Garmin is releasing updates to some of their mapping software, which
could prove beneficial to you.  If you want mapping capability on paved
roads (in town, for example), CitySelect will be excellent for you.
Depending on your GPS model, it will enable street-level routing, which
is basically guiding you right to the target on a street-by-street
basis.  MetroGuide North America is also good, but only routes on major
highways.  Still, streets that might not be in one mapping product may
very well be in another.  If you're looking to cache in the boonies,
Topo is probably your best bet, but expect to find the long established
roads and possibly not some of the 'newer' (<20 years old) roads that
might be out there.  GIS mapping of rural areas is a monumental task,
and I would hate to be the person responsible for compiling all the data
into new mapsets.

If you're looking for alternative mapping software that doesn't run on
the GPS (PDA, for example), DeLorme Street Atlas 2006 or even MS Streets
and Trips would be options worth looking into.

Brian
Team A.I.