[Az-Geocaching] more digress ~SAR & fire season (relates to GC!)

Trisha Brasher trisha at brasher.com
Fri Feb 24 15:20:57 MST 2006

Ed, you said it very well and make a great point....everyone needs to be
familar with all the methods so we can communicate the info needed.
Lat/Long is probably here to stay, UTM is also. It's kinda fun to convert
someone reporting Lat/Long in DD.MM.mmm (what some people use and what
geocachers use) to DD.MM.SS.s (what we still use in Yavapai co, and in
NAD27 to boot!) and then to UTM. Our teams up here do the same thing you
do....run more than one GPS, and redundancy is good anyway.

Everyone ready for fire season? Let's all keep our fingers crossed....
pray.... hope.... think good thoughts .....(whatever your preference) ,
and practice even better fire safety when we are out there.....it's gonna
be a miracle if we get thru to the monsoon moisture without major fires
and major destruction some where(s). We normally gear up our evacuation
training during Feb/Mar (our Posse helps train the 'paid help' police and
sheriff, etc) but instead we are already in "go" mode.

Trisha ~ Lightning

On an on-topic thought, I have yet to have had to search for geocachers.
Hunters, children, elderly/Alzheimer, hunters....stupid teens doing drugs
who lie for three days and tie up all the resources before 'fessin'
up....hunters.....but never a geocacher. Guess we DO know where we are
going, or at least are smart enough to use our trackback features.